Witbier W (Belgian Wit)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjab19

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3944
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 at 64*F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
in bottle
Tasting Notes
Nice rounded spice/orange/ester flavors.
2lbs American Two-Row
2lbs Pils Two-Row
1lbs Flaked Oats
2.5lbs Soft White Wheat
1lbs Torrified Wheat
.25lbs Acid Malt

1oz. Strisselspalt Pellet Hops (2.5%) at 60 minutes

.5oz Crushed Corriander
.5oz bitter orange peel
.5oz sweet orange peel
zest from 2 navel oranges
2 chamomile tea bags
1tbls. flour
The above was added in a hop bag the last 5 minutes of the boil and for the cooling of the wort.

Basically did a "one of everything" type brew here. There is so mch info. out there and types of ingredients that can be added to a wit so I just sort of picked these and did middle of the road weights and times. Brewed with the BIAB method. Started with about 5 gallons of water. Conducted a reast for 20mins. at 128*F. Stepped up to sacc. rest at 153*F for 45 minutes. Stepped up to mash out at 170*F. I added an extra gallon of water here that was around 180*f or so to assist with getting to the mashing out temp. then proceded to the boil.

Fermented for 2 weeks at 62-66*F.

Very nice tasting Wit so far. Just enough orange and spice for me. My one friend commented that it was better than a local brewery! I'll see how it mellows out. It's only been in the bottle for a few days.

P2153761.jpg

Thanks for the post! Your beer looks great. I am going to brew something similar for my second batch in a couple weeks and I have been trying to figure out if you throw the orange and coriander right in loose or use a hop bag. So you answered that one for me.

How did adding bitter peel, sweet peel and zest work out? I have never seen a recipe calling for all three.

It tastes great I think. Nice and orangey enough for me. And a sweet orange flavor actually. I suppose you wouldn't have to do all three orange additions, but at least the bitter orange peel as it balances out the sweetness of the sweet orange peel. If I didn't have fresh orange zest around I probably would have just added a whole ounce of dried sweet peel instead. But since I am cheap ass I bought one ounce of sweet peel and now have it for two batches!

It took the spices about 2 weeks or so to balance out. At first it was a little bitter from the corriander, bitter peel, and chamomile.

Back