What should an intro kegging setup cost?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tspilker

Reaction score
I want to keg beer. I am thinking a 5lb co2 tank, corny, reg, picnic tap and the other necessary lines.

How much should this basic setup cost (low end to average prices ?)

I see morebeer charges 186 for the setup I speak of here.
Linky

Anything else I should get also? I could always upgrade to taps when I have a refrigerator I want to convert to a kegerator, but for now hanging a picnic tap will suffice.

Just wondering on HBT's opinion

But with shipping being $25 from midwest (i live in Washington State), this is $225. $40 more than the morebeer deal.(morebeer ships it free)

Is the extra $40 worth the second keg?

Is the extra $40 worth the second keg?

yes. I guarantee your going to want it later. I have 3 taps plus one crappy picknic tap and 6 kegs. Its really nice to have one laying around when i need to keg a batch and not having to wait until i float one. Plus if one breaks or forms leaks you have a backup....

Not only are you getting a 2nd keg, you are getting a 2nd regulator, and all the hoses to hook up the 2nd keg.

If you order an empty keg alone from one of the online vendors or your LHBS, they are going to be about $40 just for the keg.

The 2nd keg is nice also, even if your fridge only has room for one. You can fill the 2nd keg, and let it age before adding it to the fridge. I have room for 4 in my keezer, but I have 6 kegs.

2 on draft
2 on deck in the keezer
2 to condition at 65degrees

I bought the setup from Midwest this morning.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I plan on kegging my first batch of Apfelwein and my next batch of Pale Ale!

Im excited! Now I need fridge to contain it.

Do you room temp condition it the same while its carbonating in the keg or can it condition in the fridge after keg?

dont bother buying a c02 bottle..it adds to shipping, and when you bring it to be 're-filled' they actually just exchange it. so there goes your shiny new tank.
also get the 10 or 20 lb it still only costs $20 to exchange, the only difference is the deposit ( which is refundable) will be more, but less trips to the gas guy

Im excited! Now I need fridge to contain it.

Do you room temp condition it the same while its carbonating in the keg or can it condition in the fridge after keg?

Depends on the brew. My Hefe goes streight to the fridge. I keg condition Aphlwine for a couple weeks first.

As to a fridge, check craigslist, something will show up pretty cheap.
I went with the Magic Chef 7.2cf + Johnson Controls temprature controler ($270 for the pair) and it will hold 4 kegs with no collar, and 6 with a collar.

Back