need some ideas on corny kegs that has missing parts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calman

Reaction score
What do you do with kegs that does not have hatches or relief valves, or in/out poles? I have couple of them.

If you are missing many parts, it will be cheaper to buy used kegs. I'd consolidate parts and buy enough to finish some of them. If you take a keg somewhere and want to keep it chilled, you can put ice in one of the leftover kegs and wrap the pair in a blanket. No mess and your ale won't be ice cold, just cool. I'm planning on building an insulated box for just this purpose.

david_42 said:
If you are missing many parts, it will be cheaper to buy used kegs. I'd consolidate parts and buy enough to finish some of them. If you take a keg somewhere and want to keep it chilled, you can put ice in one of the leftover kegs and wrap the pair in a blanket. No mess and your ale won't be ice cold, just cool. I'm planning on building an insulated box for just this purpose.

I second this -

Kegs are running anywhere from 12-14 a piece.

Not that pricey.

Kilroy

I'll 3rd it to some extent. Combine as many of them together as possible. Parts in good condition are generally pretty interchangable between units. Once you are down to the minimum number of non-functioning units you can make a call on how to handle the rest.

If you're just shy a single lid and a couple posts, it might be worth it to you to spend the $20 or so it would cost to pick up the pieces (hell-- my LHBS carries all the parts in stock) jsut so that you have the extra keg available for use (instead of just sucking up space).

On the other hand, if you don't have a space constraint (like I do-- excess stuff sucks up storage which is at a premium in our house) then you can use the incomplete kegs as suggested.

kornkob said:
I'll 3rd it to some extent. Combine as many of them together as possible. .

I did combine them, I got 8 originally, and after consolidated I got 4 complete working cornies, and 4 with missing parts. One metal recycle center says $5 each.

May as well get rid of them then. Consider, if you are missing a plug and poppet, that's $8-11 just for those two parts. Relief valves are $12-14. New lids are $30!

Back