Maybe I just need a Schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fa1321tx

Reaction score
I have recently learned that I need to use my frigerator to ferment my beer in for temp control. This causes an issue as I use this frige for my keg. I dont think a beer taste its best at 65F. So it would seem I need 2 refrigerators this could be costly as a used one is around $100 plus I still need a thermostat $60.
So until I can score both I need to try and schedule around this issue. Seems hard as I like to drink the previous batch while brewing the new one.

Any Suggestions?

There's no other way to keep fermenting temps at 65? Can you put the fermenter in a water/ice bath? Damp towels on the fermenter?

My opinion FWIW is to use the fridge for the keg and find the coolest darkest place in your house for your fermenter. You can put the carboy in a tub of ice water to control the temperature somewhat.

If your fridge is big enough to hold both the keg(s) and fermenter(s), you could conceivably run your beer line through a chiller in the freezer compartment. I have a book at home that has some details about this type of design. If you are interested, I can get them for you when I get home on Sunday.

A seperate fridge would be ideal, but if this is not possible (unfortunately I think this is the case for many of us) I would not sacrifice cold conditioining and cold beer for cooler fermentation.

Hope this helps

- magno

Try and score an old chest freezer at a yard sale or something. For some reason they seem easier to come by than used fridges(cheaper too). Of course you'd need a separate thermostat like this one

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/CONTROLLER_P762C100.cfm

so you'd still be coughing up a few bucks. Ya never know, though, I scored an old International Harvester (!) freezer for free and so all I spent was the dough for the controller. Ask around-you could get lucky. :tank:

I found a side by side for $100 and I think if I use the external thermostat in the freezer I can keep kegs in the freezer & ferment in the frige. Then just let my wife take the Sanyo 4911 to her office as she had mentioned wanting one.

Back