cooler mash temp idea for poor folk like me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idkid

Reaction score
I upgraded my MLT to a 48qt Rubbermaid regtangular cooler (Walmart for like 15 dollars) but when I tested it I lost several degrees during the hour after letting it preheat. So since I had made the manifold and valve and such I wasn't taking this one back. Instead I purchased a $8 sleeping bag and a three dollar pillow at Walmart. I placed the pillow on top (a little extra insualation for the top) and wrapped the blanket around the cooler. This time, after preheating, I let the cooler sit for over an hour without one degree loss. I'm sure there are other ways out there, but I thought I'd say how I did it. I've seen some put comforters on (SWMBO will allow a lot of things, but not that one) and using a sleeping bag for camping in cold weather was way cheaper. Just thought I'd share this as an idea for others who may have the same problem. An $11 cure for temperature loss. Additionally, the sleeping bag and pillow pack nicely into the cooler after use (Also, keeping SWMBO happy-er).

One thing to check is that the top of your cooler has insulation in it. Sometimes the top is not sprayed full of insulation on cheaper coolers. To fix that you buy a can of spray in foam (Great stuff foam would work) and drill a couple holes, fill'er up!

Otherwise... you have a good idea there with extra insulation.

Latest posts

Back