Goose Island Rare Day Tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zazbnf

Reaction score
Anyone else going to the late session at Goose Island tomorrow?

Nope. I'll never spend that much on a beer for the sake of novelty. I will of course drink it if present in front of me, or if it's at a bar for a reasonable price. But I'm not one to go sit in line for a "rare" beer because the brewery chooses to overhype it and limit production.

If it's really that good, and they don't lose money on it, then they should increase production on the beer and widen the available market. Wider audience being able to consume it will raise their reputation and brand if it's worth it.

While you are correct that it is overpriced, it was very tasty. As for increasing production of this particular beer, they bought all of the 35 year old bourbon barrels that were available. Sometimes how much beer you can make is limited by the finite resources available.

The release event was more about trying multiple Bourbon County variants from different years for me. For $40 you got a nice taster snifter a pour of 2015 Bourbon County Rare and 6 x 5oz pours of anything they had on tap with additional pours available for $3ea.

2015 Bourbon County Brand Stout
2015 Bourbon County Coffee Stout
2015 Bourbon County Barleywine
2015 Regal Rye Bourbon County Stout
2015 Proprietors Bourbon County Stout
2014 Bourbon County Brand Stout
2014 Bourbon County Coffee Stout
2014 Bourbon County Barleywine
2014 Vanilla Rye Bourbon County Stout
2014 Proprietors Bourbon County Stout
2010 Bourbon County Vanilla
John & Brett's Baudoinia

I am not really feeling cheated. And yes, I did buy my allocation of bottles as well.

rare day.jpg

Believe it. At $60 a bottle, AB InBev is making all they can. They aren't limiting production at all. I will probably end up trying it at a share hut I'm not dropping my $60 for a single 500ml bottle. While I don't believe it's all hype, I also don't think it's worth the price tag.

Believe it. At $60 a bottle, AB InBev is making all they can. They aren't limiting production at all. I will probably end up trying it at a share hut I'm not dropping my $60 for a single 500ml bottle. While I don't believe it's all hype, I also don't think it's worth the price tag.

Wait, what??? These are $60 a bottle?

Oh well, guess I'll never be trying this beer, ever. My little bottle shop is opening up at 3PM on Black Friday with some of these available, I thought I was going to pick a couple up for $20 or less. While that's as high as giraffe horns, I was gonna do it.

$60 is higher than Doug Benson. Nope.

:(

Wait, what??? These are $60 a bottle?

Oh well, guess I'll never be trying this beer, ever. My little bottle shop is opening up at 3PM on Black Friday with some of these available, I thought I was going to pick a couple up for $20 or less. While that's as high as giraffe horns, I was gonna do it.

$60 is higher than Doug Benson. Nope.

:(

That 60.00 was for the BCBS Rare. Standard Bourbon County and even some of the variants wont go nearly close to that amount, even for the 'larger' bottles then years previous. Last year per bottle cost for Philly was around 10.00 for the standard, 26.50 for the bomber (32.00 some places from what I hear). If you planned on making it to an event on black Friday for the standard stuff, its well worth the cost, IMO

That 60.00 was for the BCBS Rare. Standard Bourbon County and even some of the variants wont go nearly close to that amount, even for the 'larger' bottles then years previous. Last year per bottle cost for Philly was around 10.00 for the standard, 26.50 for the bomber (32.00 some places from what I hear). If you planned on making it to an event on black Friday for the standard stuff, its well worth the cost, IMO

Ah, gotcha. I didn't catch it was for the Rare. Thanks for getting me straight!

Says the guy with the westy profile pic....

Not that I'm saying you are wrong about rare

I love Westvleteren 12. I have many more cases than that. I don't trade it away that much either. The stuff keeps getting better. Everything I've heard about Rare this time around is that it is just meh. That it's not better than the last batch, which I was lucky to have. This batch is 100s of times bigger, and way more money than the last time. Which is sad, because the bottle was bigger last time.

This is what happens when a giant multi-national company buys up craft beers. They are fleecing people for all that they can. It actually might be a social experiment they are running.

If there was a sheep smily I'd use it for the folks buying up what Budweiser is throwing down, but :goat:

If you get Westy at the source, though, it's probably $60 for about 2 cases. I think it comes packaged in wood as well.

Nope. Was about 54€ per case last time I lived over there. That fluctuated between ~$65-80 at the time. Man I wish it was only $30 a case. That would have been nice. But you can buy it by the bottle in Brussels or Bruges for about 12-20€. Yes, that is per bottle. And it comes packaged in the crates that are in my avatar.

While you are correct that it is overpriced...

I am not really feeling cheated.

But you got a six pack of beer for $360! Yes that is overpriced, by a mile for 500mL bottles. But you agree with the overpriced, but don't feel cheated? If I feel something is overpriced I don't go and buy it. That would make me feel like I was cheated. These two statements seem contradictory to me.

:confused:

I love Westvleteren 12. I have many more cases than that. I don't trade it away that much either. The stuff keeps getting better.
My point is that westy is one of the most hyped beers in the world and you can buy other trappists much more easily and cheaply that are pretty close to the same beer(s).

I'm not lining up for rare, paying the price, nor really caring about what GI does at this point. I just find it a bit hypocritical for someone who has bought into the hype of another beer so fully to pass judgment on others doing the same thing.

My point is that westy is one of the most hyped beers in the world and you can buy other trappists much more easily and cheaply that are pretty close to the same beer(s).

I'm not lining up for rare, paying the price, nor really caring about what GI does at this point. I just find it a bit hypocritical for someone who has bought into the hype of another beer so fully to pass judgment on others doing the same thing.

How have I bought into the hype? I lived there, close to the abbey. Happened to try the beer and thought it was good enough for me to buy as much as I could as when I returned to the states I wouldn't be able to get it. I don't believe it is as hyped as it once was either. And for that matter don't feel it is hype, as it is very definitely one of the best beers in the world. I also don't feel that the other trappist beers hold a candle to it, not even "close". Though I like them all. Orval in my mind is almost the same level, but that is a completely different beer.

I love Westvleteren 12. I have many more cases than that. I don't trade it away that much either. The stuff keeps getting better. Everything I've heard about Rare this time around is that it is just meh. That it's not better than the last batch, which I was lucky to have. This batch is 100s of times bigger, and way more money than the last time. Which is sad, because the bottle was bigger last time.

This is what happens when a giant multi-national company buys up craft beers. They are fleecing people for all that they can. It actually might be a social experiment they are running.

If there was a sheep smily I'd use it for the folks buying up what Budweiser is throwing down, but :goat:

The first batch of Rare was something like 11-14k 22oz bottles and $45-55. So it is quite a bit higher priced than 2010, but I doubt this one has over a million bottles.

But you got a six pack of beer for $360! Yes that is overpriced, by a mile for 500mL bottles. But you agree with the overpriced, but don't feel cheated? If I feel something is overpriced I don't go and buy it. That would make me feel like I was cheated. These two statements seem contradictory to me.

:confused:

Ah yes, my $360 six pack. I have spent way more for less. Rare was extremely smooth and very tasty. Kinda cute that people think they are going to flood the market with 60k bottles of Rare. The 60K bottle number is predicated on the assumption they had 200 barrels and put all of it in bottles and won't save any back.

Head brewer commented at Rare day they only got ~150 barrels of which ~50 were still sitting in the barrel warehouse waiting to go into kegs. Another portion of rare was blended with Barleywine in what many assume will be King Henry II. Then there were the comments that the yield was less than they expected(possibly infected barrels, those things looked like ****.).

I would wager the actual amount released to the public is closer to 15-25K bottles. Even at $60/bottle, the demand will be at least 10x the 2010 demand. I did trade 1 for 2 Vanilla Rye but will probably take most of the rest to bottle shares in the future.

But that's ok, you go back to drinking your overpriced St Bernardus ABT 12(yes I have had them side by side and as anyone that has can tell you, the difference is insignificant) and I will drink my Bourbon County.

Back