Partial Mash Substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoochild7

Reaction score
I want to take some recipes I have and sub out some of the extract for base malt in a partial mash. Is there a formula to determine how much grain I would need to use per pound of extract like if my recipe had 7 pounds of extract and I only wanted to use 3 pounds how much grain would I need to make up the difference.

The only reason I'm not on the dark side already is becuase my damn estimated quarterly taxes were due this month then my yearly and first quarter in april so i can't justify spending the money on the mashing equipment. I did buy a 10 gallon stainless steal nfs rated brew pot 75 bucks is that a good price?

El Pistolero said:
Why does everyone here say that? Shouldn't all-grain be referred to as the lighter side? :confused:

I agree. I think that it would be a better saying (the green light sabre)...:drunk: Every week that I brew the closer I get to the "light side"

voodoochild7 said:
Is there a formula to determine how much grain I would need to use per pound of extract like if my recipe had 7 pounds of extract and I only wanted to use 3 pounds how much grain would I need to make up the difference.

Try the Recipator (http://hbd.org/recipator/) to calculate your grains and extract. If you use a strainer or mesh over the pot to sparge the grains, you should assume about 40% mash efficiency (that's what I usually had). But the good thing is, you can measure the actual gravity of the sparge run-off, adjust to the actual efficency and adjust your DME/LME accordingly.

Kai

El Pistolero said:
Why does everyone here say that? Shouldn't all-grain be referred to as the lighter side? :confused:

Honestly I think that term came form the greenboard and it is being used here.....I think it is kind of stupid too, but does that prevent me from saying it? ....No. :rolleyes:

As for partial mash--I don't get it. If you are even remotely thinking about doing partial mash, just take the extra step and go all-grain. The equipment upgrade is ridiculously cheap, easier, and ultimately will make your batches cheaper. DME/LME is expensive when you compare to just grain.

voodoochild7 said:
hmm for most of my brews I'm gonna need 4.5 pounds of grain. Glad I bought that giant strainer.

it might be kind of hard (low effeciency) to mash that much in a collander, i usually mash 6-7 lbs,and add 3 lbs d.m.e. but i do it in some frost buckets i got at the food store. just go to Shoprite, or a-n-p or whever you jersey people shop these days and ask in the bakery section for some buckets they use for frosting. you will need two, clean em up real good and make a zap-pap mash/luater tun for free...

p.s. dont let them try and give you pickle buckets, you will never get that smell out! frosting buckets are great, they are food-grade and are usually 4.5 g. which is perfect for up to 8-10 lbs. grain.

Back