Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dude you are my hero, that is so cool

I was able to borrow a friends Brew Magic so I brewed 20 gals of Centennial Blonde yesterday. Pitched 4 different yeasts. Danstar Nottingham, Safale US-05, Wyeast 1056 American Ale, Wyeast 1028 London Ale. Brew Went smooth, OG=1.050 for first 10 gals and 1.052 for second 10 gals. All beers bubbling except the US-05 (that has been a slow starter for me in the past). If anyone is interested I can post the taste results in a month or so. Here is a pic of the system. More impressive than my cooler and turkey fryer I usually use!

Cheers
:mug:

k just checked this thread today to get the recipe in mind before i head to the brew store

i lost track of how many times I made this recipe, its great beer

dude you are my hero, that is so cool

k just checked this thread today to get the recipe in mind before i head to the brew store

i lost track of how many times I made this recipe, its great beer

I brew this quite often also. Usually with my cooler MLT and Turkey Fryer. This was the first time I brewed this on the Brew Magic. Hit about 80% efficiency. I am able to use this machine from time to time. It makes great beer and is cool as hell. will update with results.

Been wanting to try all grain for a while and I think this is what I want to make =).

Is this something I will be able to do with BIAB?

I'll let you know in a few weeks. I did BIAB last night and hit 1.042. I'll post the results of the final product.

I just finished my brewtus build and would like to try it out with this recipe. Just thinking ahead, it would seem that I'm going to need to know the pre-boil gravity reading so I know when to stop sparging. Could someone double check my math to see if this is the correct number that I'm looking for a pre-boil gravity number?

OG = 1.039 (from original post )
post boil gallons = 5
39 x 5 = 195 points

195/(pre-boil gallons) 6.5 = 30
which leaves me with 1.030???

thnx in advanced and thnx BierMuncher for the recipe

Brewed this on march 3rd, its now the 22nd. checked the sg tonight and its still over 1.020. It also tastes very sweet. The color is right and its very clear, but it doesnt taste right. These are my 7th and 8th beers, and never had a problem before.

I brewed 2 beers that night (the other is the wow, now thats a light beer southern light)

both are in the same boat (the southern is at 1.016)

What could have gone wrong? Those are the only 2 beers we have used a turkey cooker on, could they have been to hot?

What can I do to get these going? anything?

Did you aerate the wort after pitching? What have your fermentation temps been like? If they got below 60F or so the yeast might have gone to sleep. Was the turkey fryer used previously to cook a turkey? If so, did you clean it really well? Not sure how this might effect anything, just asking. I use a turkey fryer exclusively for all my brews, including this one, and it's never caused any problems.

temp in the room is 66. Never fried a turkey in it. We've used the pot on the stove before to brew, but decided it would be easier on the fryer outside.

could not aerating enough cause this? the guy who normally aerates wasnt there when we brewed, so maybe we didnt do a good enough job?

sounds like you boiled the crap out of it and you have a high gravity beer. Did you boil for 60 min? I just made this batch yesterday and my sg was right at 1.040. What was yours?

Well my first brew of this was a bit of a disaster. I lost about 4 degrees during mashing, ending around 146-7 degrees after an hour. Then when I got a stuck sparge towards the middle of fly sparging and had to finish with a batch sparge of the rest of the sparge water... had to eyeball the needed volume.

Miraculously, we came in at 1.042 OG and ended at 1.006 FG. I tasted some at the FG reading and it seemed a bit thin to me, but tasty. The yeast got like 85% attenuation. Its WLP001, and the fermentation didn't seem all that aggressive.

I pitched a half sized starter.

I'm guessing the dryness has to do with the low mash temps. I am a bit depressed about it, but attempting to be hopeful.

Just made this for my second AG batch. Made 11 gallons and cant wait to try this epic beer. Hit 72% efficiency but dont have anything to compare that to because I forgot to check the gravity of my first AG batch. Only thing I changed with the Blonde was the Crystal 10L. Local shop was out so I used 15-20L or something like that...
Thanks BierMuncher!

Bottled my 1st attempt at this recipe last night. It sat in the primary for 3 weeks and finished at 1.010.

Wanted to check in again here and say that although it dried out to 1.006, I tasted it today while racking to the keg and also let my SWMBO taste it. Both of us gave the thumbs up! My version added a half lb of base malt and upped the hops to .28 oz per drop because I live in San Diego and we are so hopped out here we can't even taste subtle anymore. My wife is the proof of that given that while beer touring earlier today she drank an 85 ibu Cascadian Dark Ale and didn't even notice.

This from a woman who didnt even drink beer 5 years ago!

Long story just to say thanks to Biermuncher for providing such a SOLID base recipe for a perfect session ale to Icon Brewery!!! We lift our glasses high to you sir!

Just took a hydro after 7 days. I've gone from 1.043 to 1.012. The sample is has a lot of bread flavor in it. I fermented close to 70 for the first day or two before I could get my temps down. Any thoughts on the bread?

edit: The beer is very cloudy and hopefully not done fermenting. Could the bread be coming from all the yeast still in suspension?

Best thing about this beer so far is that I picked up the ingredients for 17 bucks! That will be reduced to around 10 hopefully when I start reusing the yeast and get sack of 2 row I'm ordering.

I brewed a one gallon batch of this (BIAB) on 2/26. OG 1.045 (I was just messing around with BIAB and boiled in an unfamiliar pot on the stove, so I had more boil off than I expected, thus the higher OG.)

Fermented 2 weeks at about 65 degrees. Since it was a short gallon, I didn't want to pull a hydro sample so I just cold crashed it for a few days.

Finally was able to bottle it last Sunday and used the last bit for a hydrometer sample (it was very cloudy in the jar, but after a while it did clear) and FG was 1.006. I got 8 bottles out of the batch.

After one week conditioning, we chilled one today, and tried it. Not quite as carbonated as I would like, but not far off. It tasted very nice, and when I offered SWMBO a taste, I lost the glass. She likes it very much.

So this has just jumped to the head of the brewing list. I'll be doing a 5 gallon batch next weekend.

Thanks for the recipe.

-peabody304

Brewed tonight BIAB AG OG 1.040. Looking forward to it :)

Edit: Here's a photo of it the morning after sitting in the hydo test jar.
Also, the air lock was churning away nice n' steady this morning.

199789_1772639568567_1616626349_1658521_4358097_n.jpg

Well my first brew of this was a bit of a disaster. I lost about 4 degrees during mashing, ending around 146-7 degrees after an hour. Then when I got a stuck sparge towards the middle of fly sparging and had to finish with a batch sparge of the rest of the sparge water... had to eyeball the needed volume.

Miraculously, we came in at 1.042 OG and ended at 1.006 FG. I tasted some at the FG reading and it seemed a bit thin to me, but tasty. The yeast got like 85% attenuation. Its WLP001, and the fermentation didn't seem all that aggressive.

I pitched a half sized starter.

I'm guessing the dryness has to do with the low mash temps. I am a bit depressed about it, but attempting to be hopeful.

Victorjohn,

Don't worry too much about the thinness. Mouthfeel changes significantly when carbonation is added. If you're really worried, I'd bump up the carb a touch.

Victorjohn,

Don't worry too much about the thinness. Mouthfeel changes significantly when carbonation is added. If you're really worried, I'd bump up the carb a touch.

Hey thanks, thats a good word. Its in the keg with a bit of pressure on it conditioning for a few days now. I took a bigger sample when transferring to the keg and I think you are right... its going to turn out great!

My ingredients are on the way (extract version). Can't wait to try this. I'll be happy if it turns out 1/2 as good as people on here say it is.

Hello all,

Well after reading through this (a good way to spend an afternoon), I'm totally sold to use this for our next batch. One question though on the hop schedule for an extract batch.

I'll be brewing a 5 gallon batch with a 3.25 boil When I enter in the recommended extract recipe hop schedule:
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (55min)
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (35min)
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min)

I end up with 16.4 IBU in BeerSmith. Am I doing something wrong as I thought this should be closer to 21?

mbosco said:
Hello all,

Well after reading through this (a good way to spend an afternoon), I'm totally sold to use this for our next batch. One question though on the hop schedule for an extract batch.

I'll be brewing a 5 gallon batch with a 3.25 boil When I enter in the recommended extract recipe hop schedule:

I end up with 16.4 IBU in BeerSmith. Am I doing something wrong as I thought this should be closer to 21?

Try adjusting your boil size.

Just brewed up a 5.5 gallon batch today. Hit the volume right on the money with a OG of 1.043. Can't wait to try this one! I'm actually doing another batch of it tomorrow for a friend. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Try adjusting your boil size.

Never had to do that before. I don't have capacity to go higher, so If I reduce the boil size to get the IBU's right I'm thinking everthing else would go off as well. Would it be better to just bump up the hops a bit from what I have below?

mbosco said:
Never had to do that before. I don't have capacity to go higher, so If I reduce the boil size to get the IBU's right I'm thinking everthing else would go off as well. Would it be better to just bump up the hops a bit from what I have below?

The extract recipe posted here was for a boil size of 6.57 gallons. Scaling that down increases the IBUs. You probably only need half the buttering hops to get on target since your boiling less water. Beersmith will scale the recipe down for you somewhere on there.

mrduna01 said:
The extract recipe posted here was for a boil size of 6.57 gallons. Scaling that down increases the IBUs. You probably only need half the buttering hops to get on target since your boiling less water. Beersmith will scale the recipe down for you somewhere on there.

It was my understanding that smaller boils don't utilize the hops as efficiently and have an inverse relationship with the ibu's.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

It was my understanding that smaller boils don't utilize the hops as efficiently and have an inverse relationship with the ibu's.

You're thinking of partial boils, ultimate yield volume equal. Not the case, here.

mbosco said:
Hello all,

You're thinking of partial boils, ultimate yield volume equal. Not the case, here.

This is a partial boil he's referring to , no?

what recipe are you referring to? I haven't read the entire thread but the original recipe posted had a different hop schedule than yours. Also, a 3.5 gallon boil will have lower IBU's than a 6.5 gallon boil which is also what was in the original recipe. The original recipe is in post #10, is there another one in this thread?

Back