Specialty IPA: Black IPA Manden Med Leen Belgian Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopRodGR

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3522
Yeast Starter
2L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
30L
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 Days @ 67F, 4+ Days @ 70F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days @ 68F
Tasting Notes
Very hop forward with a slight roast and Belgian yeast character
Manden Med Leen Belgian Black Rye IPA

This beer was my entry into the 2012 Bell’s Brewery Homebrewing Competition, and ended up taking first place out of 126 entries. I was lucky enough to help make 10 barrels of this at Bell’s, and it was on tap at their brewpub in Kalamazoo, MI for about 2 months.

Bell’s competition is unique in that they provide the base wort for you, made from a Michigan grown barley that is malted for them. While you can’t buy this, it is pretty close to a 3-4L domestic pale ale malt, so that’s what I’ve included in the recipe below. I know this is a unique take on the Black IPA, but the different flavors melded together really well.

Stats:
Target OG: 1.068
Target FG: 1.015
ABV: 7.0%
IBU: 75

Grain Bill:
- 70% Domestic Pale Ale Malt
- 14% Malted Rye
- 8.3% Weyermann Munich I
- 3.6% Crystal 80
- 2.6% Wyermann Carafa III Special
- 1.6% Briess Midnight Wheat

A note on the Carafa/Midnight Wheat combo, I had to combine to have enough on brew day, but either one could be used in full and I’d imagine the results would be minimally different.

Mash Temperature: 150F (65.5C) for 75 minutes

Hops (for a 5.5 gallon batch)
-1oz Chinook @ 60 mins
-0.33oz of Galaxy @ 20,15 & 10 minutes
-0.33oz of Amarillo @ 20,15 & 10 minutes
-1oz of Galaxy, Amarillo and CTZ at Flameout with a 20 minute hop stand

Dry Hop:
-0.33oz of Galaxy, Amarillo and CTZ added in three seperate additions (so 1oz of each in total).
First addition for 14 days, second addition for 10 days, third addition for 6 days.

Yeast:
Wyeast 3522
67 degrees until fermentation is 80-90% complete, then raise to 70 degrees till fermentation is complete

Water:
Obviously you’ll want to target a water that will work for a very dark beer, but try to also target a 2-3:1 Sulfate to Chloride ratio to accentuate the bitterness of the hops.

Some reviews of the commercial version:
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/bells-manden-med-leen-ale/199395/
https://untappd.com/b/bell-s-brewery-inc-manden-med-leen-ale/300518

Back