Help with grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beno1

Reaction score
My recipe i will be doing is below i just need to know can i use say 1kg of pale malt instead of using 2.2 kg of pale extract ? Or will that not provide me with enougj fermentables? I iwqnt to be in the 1044 - 1052 SG range. Excuse my low knowlage as im new to mini mash and only hav done all extract brewing. I basically want to eliminate some of the liquid extract im using. Oh the recipe is for a golden ale style.
Any help would be much appriciated

2.2Kgs of Unhopped Pale LME
1Kgs of Unhopped Wheat LME
0.25Kgs Crystal malt - steeped for 20mins
22gms POR @ 60mins
12gms Amarillo (8.4%) @ 10mins
12gms Amarillo (8.4%) @ 0mins
15gms Amarillo (8.4%) Dry Hopped in secondary for 7 days
US-56
20L batch
Begin by steeping crystal malt in 2 Litres of water at around 70C. Steep for 20 minutes. Once the 20 mins are almost up, start to boil the Pale LME in 4Litres of water. Strain the steeped crystal wort into the boil.
Add the hop additions and 10 mins before the end of the boil add the Wheat LME.
Ferment at approx 18C.

Or could i replace the2.2 kg pale extract with 2kg of pale malt grain??

you need more grain than extract

general rule of thumb is 1kg pale grain = 0.75kg liquid extract = 0.6kg dry extract

So instead of using the 2.2 kg of unhopped pale extract would it be ok to use 2.5 kg of pale malt grain???

So instead of using the 2.2 kg of unhopped pale extract would it be ok to use 2.5 kg of pale malt grain???

Help with grains, or help with math? Just kidding, but you are going to want like 2.9-3kg of grain. This is all dependent on your efficiency. I would recommend finding an online calculator or recipe builder (just do a quick google search and pick the one you like best). That will help you make sure you are hitting your desired gravity (and avoid division).

Stick with the mini mash as printed. Get it under your belt and then go to all grain. What you are asking to do is a very ineffiecient/ risky mash by steeping. It won't come out the same as mashing correctly. If you want to, add .5 kg pale malt for .4 kg of the extract.

Back