Help evaluating crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guttoc27

Reaction score
I just did a test crush with my new Corona-style mill. The pictures show 3 different crushes (the first two look very similar though). The last picture shows about how tight I set my plates. No mods to this mill, just tightened down. The last pic shows my attempt at a "wet crush."

I'm looking for any advice on how this crush looks to those of you with more keenly trained eyes than myself. I have not yet brewed with grains crushed with this mill, so I don't have any efficiency data to report yet.

I set it pretty tight, so I want to make sure it didn't shred the hulls too much. Please note, I'm doing BIAB... so stuck sparges aren't really a concern for me... in case that makes a difference in the crush critiques.

Thanks for you help!

Crush 1:
crush-1_sm-57460.jpg
[/IMG]

Crush 2 (tighter setting):
crush-2_sm-57461.jpg
[/IMG]

Wet Crush:
crush-wet_sm-57462.jpg

Mill Plate Setting (when turning while empty, the plates graze each other slightly):
mill-spacing_sm-57463.jpg

Makes me wish I had a grain mill.
Personally, I think all three look very good. I don't see any unbroken husks. The third grind looks to be the finest, which could result in higher efficiency for you but may be problematic if it causes a stuck mash. I would just experiment with it!

Cheers:mug:

Thanks for the feedback!

Since I'm doing BIAB and stuck sparges aren't an issue, could I co finer than this? I've heard that more shredded hulls can create harsh flavors in the beer. But then I've also heard that it's actually pH and Temp during the mash that create the harsh flavors (from tannins), and that the only real downside to crazy-fine crushes are stuck sparges.

Is there a consensus on this at this point?

Thanks...this forum awesome by the way! :mug:

I don't think you would benefit from a crush much finer than that. The endosperm from the barley appears to be well separated from the husks and you would likely just be making flour if you went too fine.

Unfortunately, I do not have any input for you as far as a fine crush causing astringent/tannic flavors because I have not tried it myself. I'm sure someone else will have some info tho.

My LHBS always hit 75% in the nose for me. I used my Corona "style" mill for the first time the other day when I brewed Dudes Lakewalk Pale Ale. The recipe called for 7lb of base and 2lb of base toasted for 30 minutes in the oven. I had them grind the 7lb and bag the other 2lb so I could toast it. I set up my corona on the counter and set the gap to the width of a credit card in my wallet, ground the 2lb of toasted grain twice and hit 79%. I had a lot of flour, but as Denny says "grind until you are scared".

What have you BIABers found to be best for your crushes? How fine? Do you contidion your malt with BIAB? If so, does it help with anything, or does it not make a lot of difference for BIAB? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back