How can I keep my soda carbonated but not put it in the fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewbeliever

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all, I've been brewing some soda recently using champagne yeast to carbonate it naturally. Of course, this requires me to put the soda in the fridge after the yeast has been carbonating it for about 48 hours. However, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with killing the yeast so its possible to not put the soda in the fridge and NOT have any bottle bombs... For instance, could I let it carbonate at room temperature for 48 hours and then throw a campden tablet in it and call it good? :confused: It would be nice to store the soda downstairs in the basement in batches instead of keeping it all in the refrigerator.

People pasteurize soda using low heat in their ovens. Haven't done it myself, but I'm certain you can find examples by searching.

PS Campden would result in a major foam-out.

Campden doesn't kill wine yeast anyway- at least, not in the amounts that would still allow the soda to be drinkable. It's used primarily as an antioxidant in wine making, and wine yeast is amazingly tolerant of sulfites since it's used in winemaking routinely.

The only thing I can think of is to make small batches of soda at a time, so you only have the bottles that will fit in your fridge. I used to make it in 2L and 1L soda bottles all the time, which is a nice size for a single serving or for a single serving for a small group of people.

You could try pasteurizing them, but that would make me worry about bottle bombs during pasteurizing since soda is so highly carbed.

homebrewbeliever said:
Hey, I had an idea. What if I get the soda really cold for a few weeks? If it isn't a lager yeast, do you think they would die?

No, it would just go dormant & wait for better temperatures, at least enough would survive to mess up your day.

Back