Milk Stout w/o the Milk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exbeerimenter

Reaction score
Inspired by Left Hand Brewing Co's Milk Stout, I'd like to try to brew my own version of a milk stout.

However, since my girlfriend cannot drink milk that contains lactose, I wanted to try to make something she could enjoy that would be close in taste and mouth feel. It possible to brew anything close to a milk stout, without adding milk with lactose. Are there any worthy substitutes?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Actual milk is not used in Milk Stout. Lactose is a non-fermentable sugar - basically you add it to your brew to make the brew sweet. The yeast cannot eat lactose. If she can't have lactose in general, use another non-fermentable sugar.

Lactose is the sugar from milk that is added to beers. Lactose is just a non fermentable sugar, I don't find it super sweet. Maybe try a oatmeal stout with some maltodexterin and vanilla. You need something that wont ferment out. Things like sugar, honey, etc will completly ferment out and give the beer a dryer finish. There are things like splenda that people will backsweeten with, but it is usually for fruit beers, ciders or wines.

NineMilBill: Thanks, I was a bit confused. I envisioned myself actually adding milk to the fermenter. But really, the lactose is only meant for sweetening because it's not fermentable? I will look into other non-fermentable sugar sources. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Slainte-brew: I really like your idea for the oatmeal stout...I'll have to try that at some point.

Back