Another RyePA Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am working on formulating my first recipe for my first all grain brew. We have decided to go with the BIAB method because it seems to be the most straight forward way of brewing all grain. I have used BeerSmith2 to formulate the recipe and was wondering what your thoughts are? Any advice on the grain bill, mash details, yeast, hop additions, boil time, etc. is appreciated. The amount of grain seems unusually high compared to other recipes i have read but I am guessing our efficiency will be low so I am trying to compensate for that.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Home Brewing Software, Recipes, Podcast and Blog
Recipe: Rye Pale Ale
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.85 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.05 gal
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 12.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 58.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 73.3 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 10.0 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.3 %
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 39.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast 7 -
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 19.3 IBUs
2 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 2 13.3 %

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 15 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 35.80 qt of water at 163.6 F 156.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort

I've brewed a bunch of rye pales and rye IPAs even a few rye Saisons and Wits in the last 6 months. Personally I would cut the crystal down to a half pound and up the rye to 3 or 4 pounds. For the mash shoot for around 151. Your hop additions look good but consider either some flameout or dry hop additions you could stay with cascade or try Ahtanum it's one of my favorite hops for dry hopping pales when youre not looking for that in your face citrus aroma but just a hint. All in all you're on the right track to make an awesome beer Cheers!

Actually 2ozs is a bit much in my opinion for your bittering addition. Maybe just an ounce or 1.5 and use the leftover to add to your flavor or aroma addition. 58 IBUs is really high for a pale ale unless you're going for an IPA if that's the case I would up your flavor addition and dry hop with at least one ounce. Good luck, be patient, get all your gear ready the night before, and most of all have fun!

I would cut back the C60 to 5% and up the rye to 20%.

For the hops I would cut back the 60 minute and 15 minute additions to 1oz and then add a 5minute addition and dry hop with another ounce.

Back