• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Contactors for e-brew heating elements.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like two with the 120v coil if you have any available, shipping to 84081.

Hey Zeus,

You mentioned having a/some contactors with switches that would work well for main power. Any of those available, and do you have any more info/pics? Trying decided if I like that solution more than another 120v coil contactor + switch.

Thanks.

Hey Zeus,

You mentioned having a/some contactors with switches that would work well for main power. Any of those available, and do you have any more info/pics? Trying decided if I like that solution more than another 120v coil contactor + switch.

Thanks.

I don't have any contactors with built in switches. All you need to do is run the 120v through a properly rated on/off switch to pull in coil for main power. I am using a keyed switch so that the panel can be locked out when not in use. I do have AB 120v key switches available for sale, but they are pricey at $55. You can find switches all over the net for much cheaper.

All contactors that were ordered are shipped out. There are a limited amount left, let me know how many you need.

Zeus, I bought a few of these off you before, I was curious if you still had any left and could do a pickup again. Believe I need 3 of the ones that'll do 30a.

Dan,
I do not have any C30's currently, but I do have a few C23's left. What size elements are you using? If they are 5500W or under C23's will work for you. Read post #58 for more details. Wednesday or Thursday works best for me to meet up. Let me know.

I need help. I purchased 4 C30's last year, but just now getting around to wiring my control panel. (I'm posting here because I thought I could get someone who used these actual contactors.)

The plan is to use 2 of the C30's together to bring in the 50a service. Then the other 2 to be used on each of the elements.

I understand the element wiring concept just don't know exactly where to stick the wires. Can someone please post a really good pic or an easy to follow diagram?

Now, combining the 2 contactors to bring in the 50a service is where I'm really confused. Can this be done, and obviously, if so, can someone please explain.

Thanks in advance.

The C30's are rated for 28 amps. I don't see how you're going to use them for 50 amp service. Basically, each connector is rated for the 28 amps. There's no way to split 50amps between 2 different connectors. You need the right equipment to handle that kind of amperage.

As far as wiring the coil is concerned. Attach a hot to one side of the coil terminal (they are below the larger terminals and there are 2 of them) and a neutral to the other side.

Here's a pretty good picture:
photo-11-1.jpg

I use L1 and L2 for the 2 hots. In on one side and out the other. I am only using 2 of the 3 terminals of the contactor.

Then there's the smaller wires for the coil below them (black and white smaller wires).

thanks stlbeer. great picture!

As for the 2 c30's for the 50a service, I made an assumption based on a diagram from ebrewsupply. It appears that he is using two 40a contactors to pull in the 50a service. I was really just double checking, but sounds like I may have been mistaken on how to use the contactors.

http://www.ebrewsupply.com/designs/PID/50a-PID-2-2-2PID-Electric.pdf

contactors.jpg

Ah - I see now. Neither circuit will pull more than 40 amp so there are 2 contactors per circuit. I've seen designs where there is 1 contactor for the keyed circuit which means it must be capable of providing the full capacity of the control panel.

If you are wiring it like your drawing you'll be just fine. i.e. your concept will work as you have planned.

Landshark - I've got a couple of these I bought from Zeus a while ago but didn't end up using. If Zeus doesn't have any more, I'm willing to offload mine for the same price. Drop me a PM with your ZIP if you're interested and I'll get you a shipping quote.

-Mark

Ah - I see now. Neither circuit will pull more than 40 amp so there are 2 contactors per circuit. I've seen designs where there is 1 contactor for the keyed circuit which means it must be capable of providing the full capacity of the control panel.

If you are wiring it like your drawing you'll be just fine. i.e. your concept will work as you have planned.

R. Jakubowski

I believe I PM'd everyone that was on the waiting list, let me know if I forgot you. 8 left pending on replies.

for the record, make sure you check out the size diagram on these things. they were bigger than i expected, but i made them fit in my control panel. also, they make a clunk when you turn them on that makes me giggle. i may wear these out just flicking them on/off :p

awesome product and awesome seller!

Contactors were shipped out yesterday morning. Picking up more this afternoon if anyone is interested let me know. For those of you that didn't get in on the last batch, yours will ship tomorrow morning.

Latest posts

Back