Why corks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You bottle it once the yeast is stopped. If gas builds up it'll pop the cork or explode the bottle.

I mean that was a liquor bottle but I've had it happen with wine bottles too. :)

If you still have some gas in the bottle and it doesn't bust or blow the cork. What will happen? Will you have sparkling wine lol... or will it eventually go away?

If you still have some gas in the bottle and it doesn't bust or blow the cork. What will happen? Will you have sparkling wine lol... or will it eventually go away?

If you have gas in the bottle, or fermentation hasn't fully completed, usually the corks pop out before the bottle blows up.

If it doesn't burst (or pop) then it will be carbonated like champagne.
(assuming that you have active yeast and fermentation was incomplete)

If you are just talking about dissolved C02 from fermentation but no active yeast, it will be the level of carbonation that it was when it was put in the bottle. It won't just go away, but it won't increase either.

Bump. I don't think the OP's original question has been answered? Why it wine typically corked as opposed to crown capped like beer?

No real reason except tradition. Some will give you a "micro-oxygenation" lecture, but threaded caps and plastic corks are taking to mainstream wine making. It won't be too long before that is normal and corks will be found only on "boutique" wines.

The reason most home winemakers use corks is cost. They are cheap and require only a cheap device to install them.

No real reason except tradition. Some will give you a "micro-oxygenation" lecture, but threaded caps and plastic corks are taking to mainstream wine making. It won't be too long before that is normal and corks will be found only on "boutique" wines.

The reason most home winemakers use corks is cost. They are cheap and require only a cheap device to install them.

Long-term wine storage predates long-term beer storage, so corking is a low-tech, traditional method. I've seen jugs similar to what we call growlers today that used corks and like growlers, these were mainly to prevent spillage while carrying the brew home.

Ok. Thanks! Good to know. So I can use my beer caps & capper to bottle my wine until I get my hands on a corker.

:)

If it doesn't burst (or pop) then it will be carbonated like champagne.
(assuming that you have active yeast and fermentation was incomplete)

If you are just talking about dissolved C02 from fermentation but no active yeast, it will be the level of carbonation that it was when it was put in the bottle. It won't just go away, but it won't increase either.

No. The cork will fly out or the bottle will burst. Champagne bottles are extra thick and designed to hold pressure, regular wine bottles are not.

No. The cork will fly out or the bottle will burst. Champagne bottles are extra thick and designed to hold pressure, regular wine bottles are not.

Beg to differ. When I first started brewing and didn't stabilize, I would routinely have bottles that carbed up like soda by the time they were uncorked. They would foam out all over and make a mess, but were sparkly and wonderful to drink. The only time these bottles ever exploded were ones that were left in my car and got super hot (thus increasing the pressure), and I only ever had one cork pop out.

That being said. I in no way endorse this practice and stabilize all my wines. Better safe then cleaning up a mess or driving a wine soaked car. :mug:

Another reason to cork instead of cap or even synthetic cork is for ageing purposes.
Wine won't age or mature under a cap. Corks breathe and allow a young wine to mature safely in the bottle.

Bull

Beg to differ. When I first started brewing and didn't stabilize, I would routinely have bottles that carbed up like soda by the time they were uncorked. They would foam out all over and make a mess, but were sparkly and wonderful to drink. The only time these bottles ever exploded were ones that were left in my car and got super hot (thus increasing the pressure), and I only ever had one cork pop out.

That being said. I in no way endorse this practice and stabilize all my wines. Better safe then cleaning up a mess or driving a wine soaked car. :mug:

Why are you contributing to misinformation on HBT? No one should ever intentionally carbonate anything in wine bottles. You could seriously injure yourself in the process.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/use-wine-bottles-beer-126800/

Etc etc etc, there's a dozen threads on it.

Umm.... chill. I'm just telling true events that happend in my brewing experience due to of lack of stabilizing.

Did I bottle wine too soon? True
Did I use wine bottles and corks? True
Did they carb up as a result? True
Did they explode? False
Did corks burst out? One
CAN they explode? True
CAN they shoot out corks? True
Did I say I don't endorse this practice? Yes
Misinformation? False

And also said I don't encourage others to do this.

I'm chill, HBT friend. :mug:

I commented that no one should try to carbonate wine or beer in regular wine bottles. This is a foolish this to do intentionally for obvious reasons. You challenged this well known fact with an anecdote that didn't end in disaster. While I'm glad you only lost a cork, anyone intentionally carbonating a beverage in a wine bottle could lose a lot more than that. Your insistence on "begging to differ" could be misinterpreted, in spite of your disclaimer.

Back