Preboil gravity will go up over time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
I noticed this last night and tonight (doing second AG WOO!!!). After I collect all my wonderful, delicious, aromatic wort, the preboil gravity seems to be a little low. After it sits for half an hour to 45 minutes (before I start the boil) it goes up? Last night it went up almost 14 points. Its been sitting for 15 minutes tonight and has gone up 5 points already???? Why does it do this? Is it lying to me?

No, I'm not adjusting for temperature... I have no idea about that, never heard of it. I'll look that up. Anyone got a quick explanation of how temperature effects it?

It's sitting because I can only do half at a time, I guess half of its actually sitting for more like an hour, not 45 minutes. I just noticed it was doing it at 45 minutes of sitting last night.

Sure. It's very important.

The density of a liquid varies with temperature and pressure. Your pressure is constant but the temperature is not.

Most US hydrometers are set to read correctly at 60°F UK at 20°C any other temperature will give an inaccurate reading.

Here's a guide I've been working on.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Hydrometer

Always take the temperature of the liquid being tested.
The following corrections are for a Hydrometer rated at 20°C / 68°F
10°C (50°F) -0.002
15°C (59°F) -0.001
20°C (68°F) -None
24°C (75°F) +0.001
28°C (82°F) +0.002
32°C (90°F) +0.003

The following corrections are for a Hydrometer rated at 15°C / 60°F
10°C (50°F) -0.005
15°C (60°F) -None
21°C (70°F) +0.001
25°C (77°F) +0.002
29°C (84°F +0.003
35°C (95°F +0.005

THanks Orfy, sorry for the dumb question, I went straight to google after posting, should've gone before. Makes sense, I found some good correction charts.

Well it's better to ask a dumb question and learn than not ask and not learn.
Although the EAC in me says it's much better to learn and not ask a dumb question. :D

No problems, glad to help.

Mystery solved hey.:mug:

Back