What's Brewing this Weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
I was informed by SWMBO that we are hosting a party Feb 24th for about 20 people & I'm shy on stock. So, Saturday is a double AG brew day to make that date! I'm brewing up my Red Dawn Ale and Dude's Pub Ale, hopefully to the delight of 6 Brits who'll be there as well.

I also get to try out my recently purchased Wort Wizard which I'm hoping works like a champ so the neighbors don't have to hear me b!tch about how slow my CFC runs!

Who else is brewing this weekend?

AG Pilsner hapening tomorrow - there are two other threads on this board with various questions for this one batch. :eek:

Tonight:
Keg lager to make fridge room
Pre-boil water (chlorine and tempo hardness solution)
Crush grains
Equipment setup

Tomorrow:
Rack water off bicarbonate matter
DO IT UP!!!!!!

It's going to be a fun Saturday!!!!!!!

Finally back to brewing after a 2 month break to do some home remodeling. I will be doing an ESB, but more inportantly I will be using a ton of new equipment:

10 gallon kettle (finally, full boils!!!)
Hopstopper (per UPS - Out for delivery)
Weldless in the kettle
Shirron chiller

I couldn't find time to brew, but I could revamp the brewing equipment!

all grain, triple infusion step-mash, single decoction Dopplebock. I'm a little scared about this one :D

Seriously, it had better get above 7 degrees or whatever it is today or I am going ot have some serious problems running my immersion chiller with the outdoor garden hose. On the other hand, evaporation should not be a problem!

jeffg said:
Seriously, it had better get above 7 degrees or whatever it is today...

Oye ve! I'm not sure I'd enjoy brewing in single digits. In a garage at least I hope :eek:.

I know it's a bit late, but I think I'm going to whip a Maibock together tomorrow. Maybe Julaibock?
Might throw on a batch of Boomslang Bitter this afternoon, I need to get three more batches on by Tuesday!

Hopefully, I'll be brewing my first Imperial IPA and racking it onto the yeast cake of my currently fermenting Blonde Ale. It just depends on when the blonde is done fermenting and ready to move to secondary.

desertBrew said:
Oye ve! I'm not sure I'd enjoy brewing in single digits. In a garage at least I hope :eek:.

Negative. Right on the cold, frozen bare dead grass in the back yard next to the outdoor fireplace. it's supposed to be back to 32 by Sunday and sunny, which is fine. one of the headlines on Boston.com today said it is colder here today with the wind chill then it is currently at the north pole :eek:

http://www.boston.com/news/weather/articles/2007/01/26/north_pole_temperature_exceeds_bostons/

At least the basment will be at proper lager temps!

Looks like it'll be in the twenties on Sunday, so I'll be teaching the brother-in-law to brew this weekend. Gotta finalize the plans for the brown ale. Toasted some malt, got some Victory to throw in, some Fuggles for aroma, some others for bittering. Looking for a nice session beer; prolly 1050ish, 20 - 25IBUs, mashed a little high. Calling it "The Brown Bunny Ale" since I'm such a fan of Chloe Sevigny's work in that film :D

jeffg said:
it had better get above 7 degrees or whatever it is today or I am going ot have some serious problems running my immersion chiller with the outdoor garden hose. On the other hand, evaporation should not be a problem!

Thanks for reminding me that I have to take the garden hose inside.

I'll be brewing another batch of my Alt, while I plan to hang some sheet rock in the basement. This Alt has been the first really good batch after a sting of rather poor beers and I only plan to adjust the bitterness a little.

Kai

Chairman Cheyco said:
I know it's a bit late, but I think I'm going to whip a Maibock together tomorrow. Maybe Julaibock?

Don't worry. I'll be brewing my Maibock in early February and I think it will be just fine. I needed to get more lagering space before I could take on another lager.

Kai

I'm making my "Lil Bastard" that I posted about earlier. I might not brew until Monday, though- the kids have hockey games all weekend. I'm making my starter this weekend, though.

Lorena

jeffg said:
one of the headlines on Boston.com today said it is colder here today with the wind chill then it is currently at the north pole :eek:
It is f*ing freezing today. Really f*ing cold. It's about time if you ask me!!!! Bring on some snow!!!

i will be brewing a oatmeal stout, bottle a pale ale, and going to second with a hefe waiting a couple more weeks on the apple cider

trinitone said:
No brewing. :( Just a lot of racking and bottling.

I'm with you on that one. I've got two batches, at the very least, to be bottled. Maybe three. But it's so cold in my basement, it's not like there's a rush...and, um, my backstock of homebrew is enough to inebriate a small country. But it's nice to get it in bottles, cuz then I can actually drink it. I'm very excited about the bourbon-vanilla winter ale.

I brew so f'n much, I need to give it a rest and do some drywall finishing this weekend. And spend some time with wifey.

I'm going to try to get in an IPA Sunday. I got the "Extreme Brewing Book" for Christmas so I am going to try one of the recipes from the book. The only thing out of the ordinary is that it calls for adding a 1/2 pound of dissolved brown sugar to the fermentor on the 2nd day.

Blender said:
I'm going to try to get in an IPA Sunday. I got the "Extreme Brewing Book" for Christmas so I am going to try one of the recipes from the book. The only thing out of the ordinary is that it calls for adding a 1/2 pound of dissolved brown sugar to the fermentor on the 2nd day.

What will that do? And I assume you need to boil the bs before you dump it.

Anyway I am brewing. I was going to do something more creative but I am going to stick with the lhbs's porter kit.

Fish said:
What will that do? And I assume you need to boil the bs before you dump it.

Anyway I am brewing. I was going to do something more creative but I am going to stick with the lhbs's porter kit.
Yeah,the sugar is dissolved in 170 degree water. He actually does not explain if it will affect the taste but I am assuming it will just a little. The recipe is simple and the OG is 1.075, one of the larger beers that I have made.

I've seen that technique proposed with really, really BIG beers before. Basically, make a regular-sized beer, let the yeast ferment it out, then add more extract through a high-gravity wort afterwards (in effect, the dissolved brown sugar). That way, the yeast don't get quite as stressed. I think that's how the 21% beer in BYO was made.

I've not used brown sugar yet either but Dude's Pub Ale I'm brewing tomorrow calls for .5# as well. His recipe calls for it 15 minutes before flamout though.

desertBrew said:
I've not used brown sugar yet either but Dude's Pub Ale I'm brewing tomorrow calls for .5# as well. His recipe calls for it 15 minutes before flamout though.

Jeff, add about a half cup of water with it and melt the sugar down before you add it. That worked well for me.

brewing 30 gallons of pale ale - a very lite pale ale - i'm shooting for 4% abv with this one. racking 40 gallons of esb - and rotating another 20 gallons of double imperial ipa and 5 gallons of brown on the taps

Will do (nabbed that outta your notes). What does brown sugar do besides fermentables? I.e. a flavor come out a bit? I'd think so with the smell of it and all but...

is there something you can add in the ferment to sweeten? Lactose or?...

Sunday I'm brewing my annual traditional Bock. About a month late, but oh, well. I keep tweaking the recipe every year, eventually I'll get it to where I want it. It's supposed to be in the single digits, so it's my kind of weather. Bring it on!! Throw on my Carhartts, suck down a few homebrews, life is good.
Oh and it's the inaugural run for my new oxygenator, delivered a couple weeks ago:ban: :ban:

Brewed today,an ESB,gonna bottle tomorrow,maybe brew a lager(all ground and ready to go)Sunday or Monday and keg a batch on tuesday(my first keg!).SWMBO and i were commenting just today how busy this brewing is keeping us.9 full fermenters going(including 2 Apfeleins) and 1 empty,but not for long:D .
Cheers:mug:

No brewing this weekend but I'm going to rack the banana beer to a keg and rack my white Zin then stare at all the versions if apple wine/Apfelwein I have fermenting.

I'm hoping my brew area will clear one of these weeks so I can brew again.

Oh and I will probably do a post or 2 on HBT.

I'm brewing my last Extract batch tonight. After going over to Rhoobarb's last Saturday to see how all grain is done I'm convinced. I already had this kit of Irish Red so I might as well use it. Time to get started.

No brewing this weekend. Waiting until payday next week to go shopping for ingredients and equipment to make starters.

Undecided about my next brew. Maybe Cheesefoods Caramel Cream Ale or and ESB.

Snakebone said:
I'm brewing my last Extract batch tonight. After going over to Rhoobarb's last Saturday to see how all grain is done I'm convinced. I already had this kit of Irish Red so I might as well use it. Time to get started.
Good luck! You'll do just great! :mug:

The Brown Ale we did last weekend is still fermenting a bit and has a thick kraeusen head. I had heard that White Labs' WLP008 East Coast ale takes awhile to ferment out and now, I believe it!

I have just put the airlock in my very first batch of brew. I did a Coopers Wheat can with two lbs. of bulk wheat extract added. I checked and double checked all my steps and sanitized the hell out of everything. Now I'm waiting for the bubbling to begin. I hope I can sleep tonight. This is better than Christmas as a kid!!!

cclloyd said:
I have just put the airlock in my very first batch of brew. I did a Coopers Wheat can with two lbs. of bulk wheat extract added. I checked and double checked all my steps and sanitized the hell out of everything. Now I'm waiting for the bubbling to begin. I hope I can sleep tonight. This is better than Christmas as a kid!!!

So true, so true.

Back