Quick Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dRaPP

Reaction score
A recipe I'm about to make called for WYeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast but my homebrew store supplies White Labs yeast. Apparently they were out of white labs irish ale yeast (WLP004?) and he said that the White Labs Burton Ale (WLP023) would be a good replacement.

First, was he right? Second, what can using a different kind of yeast do to a recipe in terms of taste? Thanks in advance.

Man I just had a whole post (sorta) on this subject.Check it out

The consensus was that yeast will have a major effect on the flavor. Personally I'm going to start brewing twin batches except for the yeast.

From what I've read any English ale yeast would do well in a stout, I say brew and enjoy. When you get some of the Irish Ale yeast, brew a second batch with it and then you can compare.

Ferment it on the cool end and it should be fine. Burton can throw off a lot of great flavors at higher temps, but they're not what you're looking for as a replacement for Irish Ale yeast.

Latest posts

Back