California Common (Uncommon FG?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dinosaurbones

Reaction score
I just bottled my first California Common ale and the FG was 1.020 after 4 weeks in the primary at 60 degrees. Is this usual for this yeast type/beer type or do I have broken bottles cleanup in my future? I primed with 3/4 cup of cane sugar and I took the FG reading after priming. What can I do to avoid gushing/broken bottles?

After 4 weeks it is unlikely you need to worry about bottle bombs, if this was an extract batch. Some extracts just don't ferment down very far.

I don't think you will have bottle bombs either. My guess is that you did not pitch enough yeast to get much lower. I need to pitch a 2 liter starter for hybrid style (see Mr Malty's Pitching Rate Calculator). This is one of my favorite styles and with a good starter I can get down to 1.011.

Can you tell us recipe and process? What type of yeast? Did you make a starter?

You could try putting it in a slightly warmer place if you want it to come down a bit.

I used White Labs San Fran Lager yeast and made the appropriate starter, did a partial mash batch, and mine came down to 1.019. But I had the temp at around 58-62 depending on the time of day, and it was in the primary for 4 weeks. So our recipes came out relatively the same, assuming you used that yeast. It has been in the bottle over a month and I think it is balanced not too sweet but not dry either...just my 2 cents. Of course I would have liked it around 1.013 or so but I will do it next time...

I used White Labs San Francisco Lager yeast without a starter. I have not used a starter for any of my other beers, some of which came to 1.012, but is sounds like this yeast may need the starter. Is that common for all lagers? It stayed near a constant 60 degrees in my garage in San Francisco.

I used White Labs San Francisco Lager yeast without a starter. I have not used a starter for any of my other beers, some of which came to 1.012, but is sounds like this yeast may need the starter. Is that common for all lagers? It stayed near a constant 60 degrees in my garage in San Francisco.

You can definitely get away with making most ales without a starter (though IMO starters produce better beers), but once you start lowering the temps for hybrids and lagers, you need more yeast. You can make a starter or buy more vials.

Back