3 gallon batch fermentation in a 8 gallon bucket bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blobs

Reaction score
Can I brew a 3 gallon batch of beer using the BIAG method and ferment in a 8 gallon bucket? I heard this can cause harm to your beer. Any ideas thanks

The fermentation will create enough CO2 to protect the beer during fermentation. I've done 6 gallons in a 16 gallon conical without problems but I got the beer into kegs after 10 days. Leaving it too long as previously mentioned adds a level of risk.

Yeah, I think you'll be fine so long as you don't let it sit for too long after fermentation finishes. I mean, don't get scared or anything if you have to leave it an extra week or something. Maybe try to get it out 3 weeks after pitching?

People have mentioned the 'risk', but I don't know what you are risking. As samc stated CO2 is heavier than O2 so it creates a layer of protection from oxidation directly on top of your wort. Sanitation is the other issue, but that has no bearing on the size of your fermenter. I don't think you will have any problems that you wouldn't have in a smaller fermenter.

Good luck!

I wouldn't worry about doing this. As previously CO2 is heavier than air and will displace most of the O2 during primary fermentation. For primary fermentation you should be fine but I wouldn't transfer to a secondary.

Back