Ordering liquid yeast online

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyleobie

Reaction score
I'm surprised a search didn't turn this up. I'm fed up with my LHBS and ordering liquid yeast online from Midwest Homebrewing. This is cool, right? I know liquid yeast needs to stay cold.

It's a bit of a gamble during the summer, since delivery trucks can get pretty hot inside. However, it's not a terrible idea. If they offer to include an ice pack, pay the extra dollar or two for it.

If you're ordering neutral yeast strains like like English/American ale, consider using dry yeast instead. It's cheaper, easier to ship, and it doesn't require a starter.

Depends where you are. I've been screwed before by ordering liquid yeast in the summer from AHS. I'm about 100 miles from them, but the UPS route goes from them, to San Antonio, then to me (in College Station, TX). So round trip, the yeast actually travels about 300 or 400 miles.

In Texas. In the summer. In an un-air-conditioned truck.

So I just go myself to Austin every couple of months and buy a few packages and drive them back myself.

Okay, thanks. Yeah, I want to get a saison yeast. I've ordered online in the past but always with dry yeast. I think I'll look into an ice pack.

I have ordered White Labs yeast from Midwest with no issues. Order on a Friday night and you will be one of the first packed on Monday morning, you will have your yeast by Friday. AHS has even quicker shipping, to me at least. Drop the yeast in the fridge as soon as you get it and make a decent sized starter before you pitch. I have never had a problem with White Labs, I don't use Wyeast if I don't have to.

I've ordered yeast a couple times from Seven Bridges. I'm in Illinois, they're in California. I've probably bought 10 smack packs from them, and never had a single problem.

They include ice packs with your order -- you don't have to pay extra. I save the ice packs and re-use them.

I order most all ingredients from any of the big online retailers, but yeast, I order from the most "local" online retailer. I try to find the closest one (one day ups delivery) close to minimize the amount of time yeast is in transit. Always, buy one or two ice packs for liquid yeast. This method has produced good results for me, even getting yeast in the summer.

I just received some Wyeast from Midwest last Wednesday, made a starter, that baby fired right up, brewed on Sunday. Today is Wednesday and fermentation is almost over, no problems here. I did order the ice pack.

Back