American Amber Ale Toasty Biscuit Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad_Horse_Brews

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
California Ale WP001
Yeast Starter
N/A
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
N/A
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
17 L
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
N/A
Tasting Notes
Toasty, Balanced, Full-bodied
So, this is a recipe I made up with the intent of having a full-flavored beer that wasn't over-bearing, too intense on the ABV and would be good to just kick back at the end of a long day and enjoy. I have to say, I am REALLY pleased with the results. Recipe is as follows:

MALTS:
4# - 2-row
4# - Maris Otter
1# - Biscuit
1# - Carafoam
8oz - 120L
8oz - Honey Malt
8oz - Melanoidin
2oz - Chocolate (mostly for color, darken it up a little)

HOPS:
1oz - Crystal (60 minutes)
1.5oz - Cascade (30 minutes)

YEAST:
1 vial - White Labs California Ale WP001

FERMENTATION:
7 days in primary
14 days in secondary

No bottle conditioning, once it was carbed I got to drinkin. It's pretty damn good I think. I'll be entering this one in competitions for sure. Best brew I've done yet; hope you like it. Let me know how yours turns out should you decide to brew it. :mug:

For the record, I posted it in Scottish and Irish ales as I took an Irish red recipe, modded it pretty severely and Brewpal doesn't fit it into one category, and since I am Irish, and I made the recipe up, I deem it to be Irish in nature. It's actually an Extra Special Bitter American Amber Wiezenbock Old Ale. But, who's keeping track aside from brew pal..... ;)

I'm holding a glass of it right now. It's a flavorful easy drinking kinda beer. Love it, hope you give it a try. :mug:

Just brewed this today. It was my first solo project. I followed the grain bill to the letter but upped the hop amounts just a little. The boil looked like a copper penny which was just what I was going for. Thanks for the solid recipe!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back