What's Brewing This Weekend? (5/13-13)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm moving my weekend brew session back to Monday evening as a result of this Mothers day thing. I'll be brewing an American Hefeweizen

Don't forget MOM this Sunday!;)

I work 12 hour day shifts all weekend. Gotta love the AF.

I need to get a Lake Walk Pale Ale batch going, but it will have to wait until next week sometime. Maybe the wife and I will brew together on Monday. Yeah.....

A honey pale ale. Few pounds of light dry malt a few pounds of honey and some cascade hops.

Brewing an APA right now! My weekend is from Wed - Sat or Sun.
Just got back from the LHBS where they critiqued 3 of my brews. It was awesome! I think i passed as a HBer by their standards.

Did a nice Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone a couple weeks ago. LMK if you want the recipe, although it's only a partial...

I'm doing a raspberry wheat and hopefully an Imperial IPA this weekend.:mug:

I'm swinging by the LHBS tonight to buy another carboy (I'm pretty sold on plastic buckets) and I'm going to make my 80/- tomorrow after my Operations Management final. I also get to put my Lazy Monk into the secondary. I might even buy a couple of sacks of DME just to have on hand.

I'm doing a batch of Joe's Ancient Orange Mead. I am curious to see how it works using bread yeast. This recipe was well touted on www.gotmead.com and is a great mead for beginner meadmakers (like myself) and is drinkable alot earlier than most mead recipes.

:mug: Cheers to you, Joe!

Joe's Ancient Orange Cinnamon Clove Mead - J.M.
Ingredients
�� 3 1/2 lbs Clover or your choice honey or blend (will finish sweet)
�� 1 Large orange (later cut in eights or smaller rind and all)
�� 1 small handful of raisins (25 if you count but more or less ok)
�� 1 stick of cinnamon
�� 1 whole clove (or 2 if you like - these are potent critters)
�� optional (a pinch of nutmeg and allspice)(very small)
�� 1 teaspoon of Fleismanns bread yeast (now don't get holy on me--- after all this
�� is an ancient mead and that's all we had back then)
�� Balance water to one gallon
Directions
1. This is one I have shared before but it may have got lost in the rebuild. It is so simple to make and you can make it without much equipment and with a multitude of variations. This could be a first Mead for the novice as it is almost fool proof. It is a bit unorthodox but it has never failed me or the friends I have shared it with.
2. Process:
3. Use a clean 1 gallon carboy
4. Dissolve honey in some warm water and put in carboy
5. Wash orange well to remove any pesticides and slice in eights --add orange (you can push em through opening big boy -- rinds included -- its ok for this mead -- take my word for it -- ignore the experts)
6. Put in raisins, clove, cinnamon stick, any optional ingredients and fill to 3 inches from the top with cold water (need room for some foam -- you can top off with more water after the first few day frenzy)
7. Shake the heck out of the jug with top on, of course. This is your sophisticated aeration process.
8. When at room temperature in your kitchen. Put in 1 teaspoon of bread yeast. (No you don't have to rehydrate it first-- the ancients didn't even have that word in their vocabulary-- just put it in and give it a gentle swirl or not)(The yeast can fight for their own territory)
9. Install water airlock. Put in dark place. It will start working immediately or in an hour. (Don't use grandma's bread yeast she bought years before she passed away in the 90's)(Wait 3 hours before you panic or call me) After major foaming stops in a few days add some water and then keep your hands off of it. (Don't shake it! Don't mess with them yeastees! Let them alone except its okay to open your cabinet to smell every once in a while.
10. Racking --- Don't you dare
11. additional feeding --- NO NO
12. More stirring or shaking -- Your not listening, don't touch
13. After 2 months and maybe a few days it will slow down to a stop and clear all by itself. (How aboutthat) (You are not so important after all) Then you can put a hose in with a small cloth filter on the end into the clear part and siphon off the golden nectar. If you wait long enough even the oranges will sink to the bottom but I never waited that long. If it is clear it is ready. You don't need a cold basement. It does better in a kitchen in the dark. (like in a cabinet) likes a little heat (70-80).
14. If it didn't work out... you screwed up and didn't read my instructions (or used grandma's bread yeast she bought years before she passed away). If it didn't work out then take up another hobby. Mead is not for you. It is too complicated.
15. If you were successful, which I am 99% certain you will be, then enjoy your mead. When you get ready to make a different mead you will probably have to unlearn some of these practices I have taught you, but hey--- This recipe and procedure works with these ingredients so don't knock it. It was your first mead. It was my tenth. Sometimes, even the experts can forget all they know and
make a good ancient mead.

I've run out of space at the moment. I did take a trip into my LHBS at lunch today for inspiration but just left with enough crown caps to prevent me toying with kegging for at least another 15 batches. Soon as the (Not so Pale) IPA is out of secondary and bottled i can get a primary on!

Well since we are on day five of a ten day forecast of straight rain and I can't get my boat in the water to start the saltwater fishing season, it looks like i am brewing :D .

I have ingredients for a classic English bitter, and I am specifically going to try to clone Young's Special ale which I have ben ddrinking regularly on tap at the near-by british style pub. I also have ingredients for my standard APA but with hops I ahve never tried before--magnum and nugget--and I have raspberry wheat ingredients, but that will have to wait.

If it is going to be 50 degrees and rain, at least i have brewing, beer and the Red Sox :tank:

I scored some glass gallon bottles and I discovered a box of very dry raisins, so I might try the hopwine that was posted last month. Doesn't say what hops to use, but I have a lot of columbus.

Initial brew in new garage gets put pack again. :( But I am picking up the fridge for the kegerator tomorrow.:ban: Next weekend I'll be gone, so I am going to make an oath to brew the following weekend, 5/27-28, Brewers honor :rockin::p

All I got to do today was rack the Caramel Cream to a secondary. But damn, it tastes so good. Thanks Cheese!!!

My Patience, I was playing with my Hopstopper, false bottom valves tubing, gas manifold and staring at the 15# of grain I was going to mash and brew this weekend but my keggles have not yet arrived.. I get my fridge in 2 weeks, so cant even work on that :(

glibbidy said:
BTW, the sox beat the yankees twice this week.:D

No Sheffield, no Matsui (for 1 game). Congratulations.

I'm brewing an Avery New World Porter clone. Hopefully I get back on track with a good brew.

Nothing this weekend, it's the wife's b-day today and then Mothers day tomorrow,so I guess it will have to wait until next week.

I bottled a pale ale today and put a hefeweizen in primary. The pale ale tasted pretty good flat, so I'm excited to drink it with some carbonation. I added half of my wheat DME at 60 minutes and half at 15. The DME really caused things to bubble like crazy when compared to the LME I used for the pale ale. It took much longer to get a hot break today than it did when I brewed with LME. Interesting anways... Not sure if it was the extract or the pot, as I am using a taller more narrow pot than last time.

My brew weekend was Thursday, my weekend plans got changed on me. I brewed my Willy's American Amber, hope it comes out as good as the first batch.

I just finished brewing a Red Ale kit, augmented with an extra pound of DME and 1.5 lbs of honey. Why? Because it was there, of course. Last night, I bottled an APA, and racked a Porter to sec. Tomorrow, I rest.

I am going to bottle my Sierra Nevada Clone tomorrow along with brewing Cheese's famous Caramel Cream Ale. That will be done after I take myself a good nap after having military duty all night tonight! I just had to see what all the hype was about. :cross: Thanks Cheese! Due to time and space constraints I am still limited to extract and partial brews for the time being.

Brew_Meister said:
I am going to bottle my Sierra Nevada Clone tomorrow along with brewing Cheese's famous Caramel Cream Ale. That will be done after I take myself a good nap after having military duty all night tonight! I just had to see what all the hype was about. :cross: Thanks Cheese! Due to time and space constraints I am still limited to extract and partial brews for the time being.

Sweeeet...

My first batch which was done last night and after 6 hours is bubbling great (couldn't sleep 3 am now) is a honey ale. I was reading about cheese's boom boom vanilla ale and that sound yummy. Read about the version 1 but ver.2 sounds the best for me. More hoppy. Once I get the first batch to the secondary that will be next on the list. Need to start sourcing the ingredents for it.
BTW, thanks Cheesefood, can't wait.

Did a Scotish Ale Saturday, doing a black lager today:D Went down this AM to check the progress of the ale and holy blow off Batman:eek: . The airlock was completely packed with gunk. I had to use the hose on high pressure to loosen it up. When I went to pull out the bung, it shot up about 2 feet in the air. I put on a blowoff hose and it's happy now.

My brewings on hold. This spring weather has forced my brewing/fermenting to the basement. Outside one day its 78'f the next 42'F. Somedays I come home to find the house pushing 85'f or at 63'f.

Right now the basement is a ranging 60-65'f. Maybe a little too cool for the light continental lager that I have ready to go. I don't know why they call it lager if ale yeast is used :confused:

I bought ingredients for a rauchbier & cider via mail order. I got a big plastic tub from the mega-mart for evaporative cooling. Bought $150 worth of equipement, extra fermenters & misc; siphoning cleaning ...... Bottles next!!

Everything will normalize with AC being kicked on.

Nugget & Cascade Hops doing well... Starting to wrap vines....

Time to mow grass, carrot for my afternoon HB :D

Latest posts

Back