Yeast recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonedef131

Reaction score
I have two meads that I would like to drop another 10 points or so. One is a Braggot with lalvin D47 that is sitting at about 1.022 and the other is a show mead with Wyeast sweet mead yeast stuck about 1.025. Does anyone have a recommendation for a yeast I could pitch that would drop these down a bit more? They have been sitting for 2 months so I know they aren't going to drop anymore on their own.

Id be hesitant to repitch with something like EC-1118 because it will easily drop you to 1.000 or lower, 10pts im not sure about...

I think I am going to try the Premiere Cuvee in the show mead. For the braggot, which is currently just under 10% abv, could I use a packet of safale-05? That stuff always seems to end at around 1.010 for me, which is about what I am looking for and it is neutral in flavor. I just don't know if that is too much alcohol for that yeast.

I think I am going to try the Premiere Cuvee in the show mead. For the braggot, which is currently just under 10% abv, could I use a packet of safale-05? That stuff always seems to end at around 1.010 for me, which is about what I am looking for and it is neutral in flavor. I just don't know if that is too much alcohol for that yeast.

pitching the safale-05 into an already 10% abv carboy is most probably doing to do absolutly nothing, that's up on the higher end of most ale yeast's alcohol tolerance, you're best bet is using some wine yeast, like 1118 or the redstar champagne, if you're looking to still end sweet, perhaps use cote de blanc, or 71B-1122, either way though, I recommend against an ale yeast at this point.

I really don't want to go all the way dry since I hopped this one with a healthy dose of Saaz. I think I will try the 71B-1122 and see if that can drop it down a bit more. Thanks for the advice.

check gotmead.com's yeast chart that way you should be able to find something in the abv range youre looking for and it will give you character profiles for each type of strain they list.

Just because S-05 will get a normal beer to 1.010 doesn't mean it'll attenuate a high gravity braggot...especially in a 10% alcohol solution, down to 1.010.

remember what a yeast strain will 'hit' is all relative to where it starts.

EC 1118 is prolly your best bet...and then stabilize and possibly backsweeten if you end up too dry for your tastes.
mead is a little easier to 'tweak' after the fact than beer...in my humble opinion at least :)

Back