Turkey Fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVHeep

Reaction score
I'm moving up from my MR Beer next week to my 1st 5 gallon batch. Can i use my turkey fryer pot that I use for frying? I know I'll have to make sure it is good and clean, but will that be enough? It's stainless, and looks to be very clean inside, but I don't want to take a chance on contaminating my first real brew. Thanks

Kevin

If you scrub it out real good with a strong soap, and then rinse all the soap out real good you'll be OK.

My brew kettle was a working stock pot for _years_ before I ever made my first homebrew, and it is still my stock pot anytime I need to make stock. Brew on.

As long as it is relatively clean inside, there are no worries. The big concern is getting all the residual oils out of it. Also remember that you are going to boil the wort inside it for at least an hour, and that is sure to kill anything nasty that gets left behind, so it doesn't have to be sanitized before you use it, just clean.

It would be a good idea to boil some water in it for a while also, in order to help remove any residual oil. If any floats to the surface, it isn't clean enough.

imasickboy said:
It would be a good idea to boil some water in it for a while also, in order to help remove any residual oil. If any floats to the surface, it isn't clean enough.

Good point, this technique will work very well.

Back