funny taste in my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addis29

Reaction score
Brewed an american ale has been bottled for a little over 3 weeks. The beer has a taste I can only describe as a dry sort of champagne taste. Anyone have any ideas to what happened?

Well since you waited for 3 weeks for the most part we can rule out it being green, though it could still maybe need more time to condition...

What temp did you ferment it or store it at? Instead of champagne like, would you say it tasted "Alcoholy?" That could be a sign of too high of a temp.

What yeast did you use? SOme yeasts can lend a taste like that as well...

Best case...leave it to bottle condition a couple more weeks...It still might need to shake out some of the off flavors...

The temperature during fermentation and storage is about 69 degrees. I do not believe it is a alcoholy taste, maybe a wine taste describes it a little better. I did have some oxygen bubbles when racking the beer. my siphoning got a little screwed up and I noticed some bubbling. Thanks for any advice, this was my first batch.

its quite possible you have very few unfermentable sugars in the original wort, so it fermented very completely, leaving you with a dry beer.

Beer, just like wine, can be described as Sweet or Dry, malty or hoppy, balanced, etc.

I'm not convinced this is any kind of 'off flavor'.

What was the OG ,and what was the FG at bottling?

From personal experience, that was caused by using sugar. I quit using sugar and that went away.

Back