Beerswap III: BrewBrain's beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alright, packages are on the way. Three beers are included:

22 oz of my very first AG brew - an ESB. IBU: 47.9 AVB:5.40
Pour carefully:D , it is quite foamy. These are among the last remaining bottles of this one.

12 oz AvGas IPA v 1.0. IBU: 67.4 AVB: 6.27
My first attempt at an IPA. This one is just rounding into shape. I've been drinking it for the past week or so.

12 oz Hopped up American Amber. IBU: 65 ABV: 5.50
I had a bunch of ingredients left over from other brews, and it looked like they might just combine into a pretty darn good American Amber. The IBU's are quite high for the style, but I ~think~ it'll drink lower, if that makes any sense. It was bottled on Nov. 3, so should be fully carbonated by the time it lands on your doorstep. I have not had a chance to give it a final thumbs up, but the preliminary tastings have gone well. Here's hoping!

The beer caps are clearly labeled. The bottling dates of the IPA and Amber are also noted.

All are bottle conditioned, so I'd let them sit for a few days in the refrigerator to clear up.

Hope you enjoy!

IPA:

Appearance
Deep red. Almost no clarity. Nice fluffy head with a good solid layer of off-white cream that laced the glass all the way down.

Aroma
It's there, but it's not huge. I smell American hops for sure, that touch of citrus. It's not overwhelming grapefruit though, so I don't think it's cascades.. at least not only cascades.

Flavor
Very good. Not very malty, a bit dry and a full on hops punch with the bitterness. It's not overwhelming though. I can't really think of what it could be lacking anything, but it seems to be missing something. Something small, maybe a little more upfront hit from the hops would be good. The bitterness is great, but maybe some more flavor additions.

Proximity to style
Right on, maybe a little on the weak side for the sylte, but it's an IPA.

Overall
Very drinkable, I could have quite a few of them back to back. I could see myself ordering a whole pitcher of this at the brewpub unless their was something with a little more kick on tap ;)

Score: 39/50

Thanks for the review:mug: It really helps me think through what I'll be changing for version 2.0.

As for the clarity, it really does become crystal clear with a few days in the refrigerator. It was dry hopped, so it probably has a bit extra cloudiness than normal without that cool down time.

Hoppy Amber

Appearance:
Bright amber, not as dark as the others I've had recently. Small head, but a great lace that stuck around.

Aroma:

No malt. Full citrusy hops aroma at first, but that faded after a minute. It doesn't seem like cascade to me, but maybe a little simcoe? It's there, but not big at all after a couple sips.

Flavor:
Very, VERY lite malt flavor, a strong bitterness, medium-lite hops flavor. The hops really hit on the back of the tongue. Great carbonation, I think it really helps the hops come through.

Proximity to Style:
Solid, I might like a little more aroma.

Overall:

Good beer. It's got a little edge of it's own. I might like a hint more malt flavor/aroma, but I don't think it's necessary. Would definitely like to see some more hops aroma. At first I really liked the big bitterness hit, but now that I'm closing in on the end of this drink it's kind of lingering a little too long in my mouth. Maybe tone it down a bit too.

37/50

Hoppy Amber 6B

Aroma: Nice hoppy hit at first, then it settles down. Not much malt aroma, and this style should have some caramel aroma. No diacetyl. 8/12

Appearance: Nice light brown to amber color. Pretty clear, but I could have let settle a day or two longer. Small head, but retention is excellent as well as lacing in the glass. 3/3

Flavor: This is a hoppy beer, and it's very close to style. Hops hit you up front and on the finish. Hops push it to the far side in the balance between malt & hops. The finish is dry and clean. 14/20

Mouthfeel: Medium body with very nice carbonation. 5/5

Overall Impression:
Very tasty and drinkable beer. Should have some caramel aroma and some caramel flavor per the style, but overall a very enjoyable beer. 8/10

BJCP Score: 38/50

Back