Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, actually... Hops are a mild sedative, so Dad may feel the alcohol effects more with a hoppy beer. But, of course, the alcohol content is no higher because of the hops!

Technically, but, well, actually... *most* higher hopped beers are also higher alcohol to get the balance of malt and hops. I mean, sure there are session IPAs now and dry hopped hefeweizen, but in general. So more hops + more alcohol = drunker dad. (Maybe!)

Talking to a guy I kind of know...
Him: oh I heard you make homebrew
Me: Yep!
Him: Saw something one time on tv about how beer is made. It's cool they use peanuts for that.
Me: Ugh what about peanuts?
Him: Yeah they make all beer with peanuts.
Me: Um, never heard of that. Normally beer is made with grain, water, hops and yeast.
Him: Well beer has always been made with peanuts. Its one of the main ingredients.
Me: Um.. No. The fat content would kill the head retention on a beer. There are even purity laws in Germany which restrict adding anything other than, grain, water, hops and yeast to beer.
Him: NO YOU ARE WRONG THERE ARE PEANUTS IN BEER! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. I BET YOUR BEER IS TERRIBLE BECAUSE YOU DON'T USE PEANUTS.
Me: (Turn around and walk away before I punch him...)

Him: Saw something one time on tv about how beer is made. It's cool they use peanuts for that.
Me: Um, never heard of that. Normally beer is made with grain, water, hops and yeast.
Him: Well beer has always been made with peanuts. Its one of the main ingredients.
Me: Um.. No. The fat content would kill the head retention on a beer. There are even purity laws in Germany which restrict adding anything other than, grain, water, hops and yeast to beer.
Him: NO YOU ARE WRONG THERE ARE PEANUTS IN BEER! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. I BET YOUR BEER IS TERRIBLE BECAUSE YOU DON'T USE PEANUTS.

Are you sure he wasn't saying penis?

Dude... you're not using peanuts?

Guys, should we tell him?

Did not know there were that many vegans in the world (much less Ireland!) to concern Guinness. :p

EDIT: I might be wrong but why is this not a concern with Harp :confused:

because Guinness is the thickest, darkest, richest, most complex beer in the world. you could literally stand a spoon straight up in it! A SPOOONNN!!!!

I don't work with you! and I was saying penis.

There aren't, but they are morally and intellectually superior beings.

exactly.

people complaining about things they would never eat or drink in the first place.

Like the a$$knobs who complained about McDonalds food not being healthy, using animal fats to cook their fries. so they add McSalads, use veggie oil, the knobs don't eat there anyway and McDs wonders why their sales are tanking.

duh... you gave in to terrorists

It's hard to follow this thread. Not every post comes through in my email. I was going to reply about Guinness being a strong beer, then there's another post about another beer being stronger.

I was just going to say, I'll bet my coffee is stronger.

If you make hillbilly rocket fuel, it might be. A grew up drinking that kinda coffee. If that doesn't get ya goin' in the morning, you got problems...

It's hard to follow this thread. Not every post comes through in my email. I was going to reply about Guinness being a strong beer, then there's another post about another beer being stronger.

I was just going to say, I'll bet my coffee is stronger.

But have you had bud light platinum!? That stuff is like 10%!!!

My friend, last night, after taking a sip of Boulevard's Tank 7...

"Meh, I'm just not a fan of sweet beers."

I didn't have the heart to tell him it had the lowest number of carbs on the beer menu. Also, after learning I enjoyed sours:

"Why don't you just order a wine cooler?"

:facepalm:

There aren't, but they are morally and intellectually superior beings.

IMG_4153.jpg

To be fair, I know atheists & crossfitters who don't bring that up at all unless asked, or at least conversation leans that way.

Vegans won't shut the hell up about that, though. At least, IMHE ('e' for experience).

Last night at dinner, over heard a guy explaining the differences between wine and beer,not only being the main ingredients but how they are distilled. Got better when he mentioned there are only 5 hop verities. Then went on how the flavor and color changes with how much hops are used.

All I could think was how drunk they were during the tour or how bad the tour info might have been (no brewery or winery names were mentioned).

Although his information was disorganized and scattered, it wasn't completely all wrong.

You can after all distill beer. We call it Whiskey.

And isn't distilled wine = port?

In any case, he had the right ingredients to say something profound. He just didn't have the right formula.

;)

Back