Ineffective crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So here I am milling my grain with my new Barley Crusher. It's a hefe, so there's wheat malt involved. First run through the mill, everything but the wheat comes out perfect. The wheat, however, seems completely untouched. Closed the gap, ran it through again, pretty much the same thing. Maybe a grain of wheat here or there got crushed. Closed the gap some more (now we're at the smallest gap I can get it to) and ran it through again. The wheat seems more crushed now, but still insufficiently crushed. Any recommendations? Thanks.

-AJ

Can you post a picture so we can see the crush? I use a barley crusher and have brewed several wheat beers and haven't had any problems. I think if we can see the results we may be able to help better.

I brewed a Hefe today and didn't look at the crush much. On my last brew I tightened my Corona style mill and got a good efficiency. Not so much on this one. 61.6%. I guess the wheat needed a double crush. Predicted OG = 1.050 I got 1.044. It will be good, I'm sure!:)

Wheat is a small, hard kernel with no husk. Crushing it is difficult. Read a little about conditioning your grain and try that with wheat. The extra moisture will soften the kernel and make it swell a bit so it crushes easier.

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately I don't have a pic since I was getting ready to brew at the time of the post and it was getting kind of late, so I went ahead and brewed with it as it was. My efficiency was pretty awful on that brew, but it was a good learning experience for working with wheat. I'll know better next time.

Back