Well, it finally happened, I think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkenjaeger

Reaction score
Having read accounts of people with fermentations that just didn't want to finish, and usually seeing it attributed to mistakes on the brewer's part (especially the new brewers) I wondered if it'd happen to me, and it seems like it has.

I brewed the American Pale Ale II kit from morebeer.com. I don't have the recipe handy at the moment but the kit had 8lb of LME, 1.5lb crystal 15L, and 8oz honey malt. My OG was about 1.060 (which verified fine when I put the recipe into beersmith), and I pitched a packet of S-05 dry yeast. I left it for about 2 weeks in my fermentation cabinet at around 65-68F, and at that point there was little to no airlock activity and the SG was remaining constant at 1.020 for a few days. The kit didn't specify a target FG, but beersmith predicted 1.015, so it seems a bit high still. However, beersmith did place a red exclamation point next to the honey malt in the recipe, which I've not seen before, and I wonder if it wasn't accounting for it properly, giving an inaccurate target FG. Though, it doesn't seem to me that a mere 8oz of honey malt would make that significant a difference in any case.

As for the brewing process, everything went normally, as good as any of my other batches have gone, no big glaring mistakes or anything. I oxygenated, pitched at around 70 something, and fermentation started up within 12 hours, no obvious problems. There were (and still are) no signs of infection - it smells fine, looks fine, and tastes fine, so far.

I knew the trub in this batch was going to be pretty bad, as it used 5oz of pellet hops in total and of course quite a bit got through my straining bag, so I racked it to secondary to get it off that junk. I pitched a packet of S-04 that I had in the fridge onto it, hoping to drop the SG some more, but there were very few bubbles in the airlock (few enough that I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it's just CO2 coming out of solution) and after a week in secondary the SG hasn't dropped a single point.

At this point, I don't know what I can really do for it. In its defense, it really does taste pretty good at this point - there's more sweetness than there probably should be, but then again it had quite a bit of hops in it so it's not completely unbalanced. My non-hophead roommates will probably appreciate the increased sweetness anyway. Luckily, I don't have to worry about bottle bombs because I use kegs, so I'm strongly considering just chucking it in a keg as is.

With that said, is there anything I can reasonably do at this point? (short of making a gigantic starter or something to beat it into submission)

Or, does it actually seem like my FG is significantly higher than it should be? (maybe beersmith's predictions weren't 100% accurate?)

And, in retrospect, what SHOULD I have done? I am thinking I should have spent a few days repeatedly swirling/rousing the yeast in the primary to see if I could get a bit more fermentation out of it.

In all, I'm not terribly disappointed or worried (ie - I'm R-ing, NW-ing, and HAHB :mug: ), because I think it's going to be very drinkable no matter what, but it'd be nice to know what happened to improve my practices for the future.

You got about 60% attenuation which is a little low I think.

1 1/2 pounds of crystal might be the culprit for the residual sugar content (which is what crystal is supposed to do :) )...but if it tastes fine...success!

Nothing wrong w/ an FG of 1.020

RDWHAHB

Thanks for the vote of confidence - you inspired me to take another look in beersmith - I changed the recipe from extract to partial mash and it then predicted a FG of 1.023, in which case I'm definitely done.

Interestingly enough, I set it back to extract again and then it was predicting 1.020 - even better, now it's right on the nose. I notice beersmith likes to not update the figures sometimes when you change things, so I'm guessing that must have happened because I'm SURE it told me 1.015 yesterday.

Oh well... Glad my mistake was made in software, not with the beer itself. Time to keg!
:mug:

Back