brew turned darker in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
My IIPA has been sitting in the primary for almost 4 weeks. I just looked at it after not seeing it for about 3 days and it's much darker than when I looked at it last. When I pitched the yeast it was dark, 1090 OG, but it lightened a lot to a nice light brown color during the first 3 weeks. Now it's dark brown. Any ideas?

When the yeast is active and still floating in the beer, it tends to lighten the appearance of the brew, since yeast is usually a light tan color. When the yeast flocculates and settles toward the bottom of the fermenter, the appearance of the beer tends to darken. I have seen this several times, and I consider this to be a normal phenomenon.

When the yeast is active and still floating in the beer, it tends to lighten the appearance of the brew, since yeast is usually a light tan color. When the yeast flocculates and settles toward the bottom of the fermenter, the appearance of the beer tends to darken. I have seen this several times, and I consider this to be a normal phenomenon.

That does make sense; I didn't think of that. :drunk:

Thanks man!

Also,the large volume of beer in primary will look darker,since it's in a large diameter vessel that'll let less light get through. So it looks darker. But get it in a glass,& it'll look much lighter.

Latest posts

Back