Problems with New Batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldaug

Reaction score
I brewed a stout I got from AHS. The recipe included 10lbs of Dark LME, 3/4lbs Crystal 40L, 1.3lbs Black Barley, 1/3lbs Black Patent, and 1oz Dark Chocolate.

Anyways, when I got this kit I had also ordered a reusable bag for putting hops in(the bag is finer then a muslin bag so less gets through). The bag was rather large so I did not end up using it for the hops, but I had a (bad) idea. I thought I would try and use it to filter the wort. I put the bag into a 6 gallon carboy with the top sticking out the top of the carboy. I then wrapped a rubber band around it to hold it and put my funnel down into the bag and into the carboy.

When the wort was around 80F I started pouring it in. I got about 3/4 of the wort in, but the bag just filled up and the wort was passing through the bag very slow. I pulled up on the bag to put pressure on it and that helped but it still seemed like it would take forever to filter. Eventually I said screw it and dropped the bag and added the rest of the wort. Then I topped off with water and shook it up.

When I took my hydrometer reading it was at about 1.032. It should of been around 1.074. After this I added the yeast and shook it up quite a bit more.

Does anybody think there may be a problem? I cannot see how the reading was so low. My best guess is alot of the wort was still in the bag so the sample I took was watered down. I am hoping the wort eventually just leaks out of the bag and combines with the rest of whats in the carboy. Or that the yeast is small enough to get through the bag.

I think you're right in that you took a watered down sample...10 lbs of DME would yield, as you said, 1.074.

You shouldn't have a problem, except maybe keeping the syphon going when you rack if the bag tries to get sucked in.

The yeast will have no trouble getting into the bag and doing their trick. I tried several ways to filter wort and finally got a torpedo filter for inside the tun. Even that clogs once in a while.

Back