Clubs in Northern IE?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No i dont think so haha... I have an idea for the recipe, ill post it tonight when I have a chance to

So lets take a look at this recipe. Lets make our changes to it asap so were ready for the next meet. I brewed NCBeernut's Deception cream stout https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/deception-cream-stout-141483/ and it was phenominal with the exeption being that i would want it to be a little more chewy, so i went with the full lb of lactose, a bit of oats, and slightly higher mash temp, and of coarse the eggnog spices!

Eggnog Milk Stout 5gal batch
7lb 2row
1.5lb wheat malt
1lb 60L
.75lb choco malt
.50 roasted malt
.50 flaked oats
1lb lactose (10 min)

.75oz Magnum [14%AA] (60 min) ~27 IBU

Wyeast1450 Dennys Fav. (this yeast rocks for sweet stouts!)

mash @ 153* for 60min

for spices, heres what i was thinking:
kettle additions
4 cinnamon sticks
6-10 cloves
15-20 blades of mace
1 tsp nutmeg

and for secondary ferment additions
soak 3 vanilla beans (sliced and scraped) in 2 cups of brandy for 2 weeks. add to secondary for ~10 days.

*this is for a 5 gal recipe, im not sure how much we're going to make, so i guess we can scale up when we figure that out*

what do you guys think?

Sounds tasty, on the amount? Doesnt matter to me I'll go with the consensus

So lets take a look at this recipe. Lets make our changes to it asap so were ready for the next meet. I brewed NCBeernut's Deception cream stout https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/deception-cream-stout-141483/ and it was phenominal with the exeption being that i would want it to be a little more chewy, so i went with the full lb of lactose, a bit of oats, and slightly higher mash temp, and of coarse the eggnog spices!

Eggnog Milk Stout 5gal batch
7lb 2row
1.5lb wheat malt
1lb 60L
.75lb choco malt
.50 roasted malt
.50 flaked oats
1lb lactose (10 min)

.75oz Magnum [14%AA] (60 min) ~27 IBU

Wyeast1450 Dennys Fav. (this yeast rocks for sweet stouts!)

mash @ 153* for 60min

for spices, heres what i was thinking:
kettle additions
4 cinnamon sticks
6-10 cloves
15-20 blades of mace
1 tsp nutmeg

and for secondary ferment additions
soak 3 vanilla beans (sliced and scraped) in 2 cups of brandy for 2 weeks. add to secondary for ~10 days.

*this is for a 5 gal recipe, im not sure how much we're going to make, so i guess we can scale up when we figure that out*

what do you guys think?

Have you put this in beer smith? Whats the ABV and the OG and FG?

How about fuggle hops? they are more of an aroma hop... I use them in my Irish stout...

I would say like 5 cloves, and if we are using blades of mace maybe use less nutmeg... maybe about 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg... too much cinnamon especially for eggnog... maybe 1 if that. Also the vanilla beans we should soak in bourbon because eggnog has bourbon in it. However, how powerful is the taste of vanilla with 3 beans?

Fuggles would work just fine IMO. As for the vanilla, I used two as a secondary on the exact same beer last time and there was little to no vanilla at all. If you want the vanilla to be somewhat prevalent, maybe go 3.5 to 4... I always had brandy in my eggnog haha, guess it depends, but bourbon would be great as well!

Oh ok let do 3.5 vanilla beans... Ive never actually used vanilla bean.

LOL well alcohol and eggnog go hand in hand!

Oh maybe do you think we should try maybe 1.5# of lactose? So we get that really milky creamy feel? or to much?

Oh maybe do you think we should try maybe 1.5# of lactose? So we get that really milky creamy feel? or to much?

I'd stick w 1lb of lactose, it might get a bit too sweet at 1.5lb. if anything bump up the oats to a full lb for a thicker mouth feel. That plus a 153* mash should do the trick just fine... I'll go ahead and get the vanilla beans soaking so they're good and ready by the 29th. Any preference on bourbon? Makers mark perhaps?

Yeah youre right... But lets keep the oats the same... But yeah Makers Mark is fine i think any bourbon will do...

OK, so how many gallons do we want to brew, so I know how much vanilla to soak. Who all is throwing in on the batch?

Does anyone have a chop saw? I was reading in the last edition of Zygmurgy about building a brewstand using channel strut and this looks like something i could do. I just need access to a chop saw.

I have a chop saw and a band saw, if u want ill take it to the shop with me and u can come by to make your cuts

Stubblejumper said:
Awesome, once I buy the struts I'll give you a shout.

Let me know when your going to be there I still have those Belgian bottles if you still want them?

Well i think there is going to be about 6-7 people getting in on the recipe so if we do a 10g batch that should give us each about 15.

The only Issue is who has a 10-15g fermentor? I know we can slit it into 2x 5g, but would have to blend them after...

Well, your all welcome to come brew at my house but I am really only set up for 5gal batches at the moment

Well, your all welcome to come brew at my house but I am really only set up for 5gal batches at the moment

Well for a 10g batch Sean's rig is or would be the best set-up, But that's if he wants to run it through his rig. Or we could just run 2x 5 gallon batches... I would have room in my fermentation chamber to do 2x 5g fermenters. So its up to sean if not then we could do it at your place Matt.

Sounds yummy! I love milk stouts :D An Eggnog Milk Stout, now that's creative! Can't wait to brew!

Well for a 10g batch Sean's rig is or would be the best set-up, But that's if he wants to run it through his rig. Or we could just run 2x 5 gallon batches... I would have room in my fermentation chamber to do 2x 5g fermenters. So its up to sean if not then we could do it at your place Matt.

OK, I might have room for 2x5gal in my chamber have to check. Also, my MLT is a 13.5gal so I think we could do a mash for 10gal batch in there... its just my kettle is 8gal capacity

brewski_please said:
OK, I might have room for 2x5gal in my chamber have to check. Also, my MLT is a 13.5gal so I think we could do a mash for 10gal batch in there... its just my kettle is 8gal capacity

We could use my 15g kettle and I'll have room in my FC for 5g by then. I also have one of these (red lid) holds 13g??? (got the FC after pic was taken)

image-2007183277.jpg

kosmokramer said:
Those curtec fermenters are awesome! I have one in the fridge now

Yea they're pretty cool, I have three actually, one was a leaker found out while cleaning it the guy gave me another and let me keep the leaker may use it for grain or something after I seal it...

We could use my 15g kettle and I'll have room in my FC for 5g by then. I also have one of these (red lid) holds 13g??? (got the FC after pic was taken)

Oh, Nice! My FC is a stand-up freezer, so I think I could fit that guy in there no problem, just two 5gals side by side might not work out as easily

brewski_please said:
Oh, Nice! My FC is a stand-up freezer, so I think I could fit that guy in there no problem, just two 5gals side by side might not work out as easily

Mine too, love it no more frozen bottles!!!!

Back