All Cascade or Columbus/Cascade recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradinator

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just looking for a little input on my next recipe; Single hop or double hop? I also have an oz of Saaz on hand as well.

Recipe Type:
All Grain
Yeast: Nottingham
Yeast Starter: NO
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.0
Est Original Gravity: 1.040
Final Gravity: 1.008
IBU: 27 or 53 (depends on the hops)
Boiling Time (Minutes): 75
Color: 3SRM
Efficiency: 80%
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): ~70F for 2 weeks.

Ingredients:
5.0 lbs 2-Row Pale
2.0 lbs Pilsner

0.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) – 60min
0.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) – 40min
0.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) – 20 min
0.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) – 0 min

OR

0.5 oz Columbus (14.5%) – 60min
0.5 oz Cascade (7.5%) – 40min
0.5 oz Columbus (14.5%) – 20 min
0.5 oz Cascade (7.5%) – 0 min

1 pk Nottingham

Mash at 149F (light body), BIAB w/ sparge

A 'smallish' beer at ~ 4.2%abv I would tend to shy away from Columbus for any additions beyond the 60 minute. It's a very pungent and broad flavored hop that may overpower anything other hop you use. Assuming you are shooting for a small APA style, I would vote for the #1/all Cascade. As an option, consider moving your 40 and 20 minute additions to 20 and 10 respectively. This will make the flavor of the Cascade pop a little more.

Cool! Thanks for the advice.

I am going for a lighter APA style beer, so I can now see why I should avoid the Columbus. I enjoy hoppy beers but it may be a bit much for this recipe.

Do version two but like this:

0.5 oz Columbus (14.5%) – 60min
0.5 oz Cascade (7.5%) – 40min
0.5 oz Cascade (7.5%) – 15 min
0.5 oz Columbus (14.5%) – 0 min

Colombus Late in the boil in this little amount will be great.

I did a light beer like this that I just took a sample of last night. It was very thin from a low and long mash, and so the perceived bitterness was much higher than it would be in a maltier beer. My est IBU came out around 40, and when I re-brew this experiment I'll be shooting for closer to 30 if not lower. It's probably worth noting that the hop aroma also came through a lot clearer.

Here's a link to my recipe
http://beer.hexkrak.com/2011/08/29/discount-brew/

I did a light beer like this that I just took a sample of last night. It was very thin from a low and long mash, and so the perceived bitterness was much higher than it would be in a maltier beer. My est IBU came out around 40, and when I re-brew this experiment I'll be shooting for closer to 30 if not lower. It's probably worth noting that the hop aroma also came through a lot clearer.

Here's a link to my recipe
http://beer.hexkrak.com/2011/08/29/discount-brew/

If with just 1 oz of Warrior in the boil you found it too bitter, I will probably stick with my original recipe and use only Cascade. I am planning this brew to be lighter bodied than what you did (mashing at 149F vs 153F) and I really don't want to utterly drown out the malt flavour.

Thanks again for the advice.

Back