liquid yeast rant from a noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flipfloptan

Reaction score
Just spent 3 hrs on ny brewmaster blonde ale sale recipe with liquid yeast. Read instructions on vial to mix well and open carefully. What I thought was careful wasn't careful enough. Sprayed every where due to pressure. How hard is it to put on vial contents under pressure? Saved what I could and will hope. Long live dry yeast. Thank you for letting me rant.

Your saving more than a couple bucks. Liquid yeast is 2-5 bucks more each batch. I may be jaded right now. I do 't think mt taste buds can tell the difference for the price or hassle.

Jeeze ship me some yeast please, my LHBS sells liquid yeast for about $8 per vial.

It's not put under pressure, it's that yeast have to pee alcohol and fart co2,it's their nature, and god given right, and so in an enclosed environment it builds up. We've all had a gusher the first time we use it, but once you learn the facts of yeast life, you're a little more careful. Not really worth bashing or swearing off liquid yeast, just 'cause what happened to all of us at one time or another happens.

Just spent 3 hrs on ny brewmaster blonde ale sale recipe with liquid yeast. Read instructions on vial to mix well and open carefully. What I thought was careful wasn't careful enough. Sprayed every where due to pressure. How hard is it to put on vial contents under pressure? Saved what I could and will hope. Long live dry yeast. Thank you for letting me rant.

I know how you feel, I have had that problem from time to time with White Labs yeast, which is why for the most part, i personally use Wyeast.

I would never bash the yeasties, its just that LHBS when Im in Tn. is 1 1/2 hours round trip and when I'm in Ky. there is no LHBS so I prefer the ease of dry. I did do a sour that I used the Roesalere blend so had to get the liquid but unles I NEED a specific strain it's dry for me:D

I agree it's expensive, but one vial lasts me about 6 months with harvesting, so the real cost is pretty minimal (about $0.35 per batch).

-a.

Back