Taking carbonated keg off co2... will it go flat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxofRain

Reaction score
I've looked around but couldn't find a definitive answer. If i want to force carbonate a keg for future use then store it off the co2 will it go flat? I'm thinking that as long as there are no leaks and I don't mess with the pressure relief valve, it shouldn't. Would any variables factor in? Temp? Time?

I've looked around but couldn't find a definitive answer. If i want to force carbonate a keg for future use then store it off the co2 will it go flat? I'm thinking that as long as there are no leaks and I don't mess with the pressure relief valve, it shouldn't. Would any variables factor in? Temp? Time?

It will be fine...basically like a 5 gallon bottle.

Just make sure the beer is fully carbonated before disconnecting it from the C02 line and storing. You mention 'force carbonating' so this makes me think you're planning to hit it with C02 at a higher pressure for a few days then disconnect and store it.

I'd suggest slow carbonation (10-12 PSI over 2-weeks) instead of force carbonating at 30-PSI for a day or two. This way you'll know the beer was truly fully carbonated before storage. Quickly force carbonating a keg of beer is tricky to get right and it often results in over/under carbonation.

I'd suggest slow carbonation (10-12 PSI over 2-weeks) instead of force carbonating at 30-PSI for a day or two. This way you'll know the beer was truly fully carbonated before storage. Quickly force carbonating a keg of beer is tricky to get right and it often results in over/under carbonation.

Agreed. The keg pressure will reach equilibrium once no more co2 can be absorbed into the beer. This will happen faster when the keg is cold and slower when it's warm.

You really don't want to store it for long periods until you know you're at full absorbtion and it's holding pressure of around 25-28 PSI warm.

Also, you can make a cheap guage from the auto parts store that will let you check the pressure in the keg. If it's consistant over a day or two, then you know you're good.

Hope this helps.

Just make sure the beer is fully carbonated before disconnecting it from the C02 line and storing. You mention 'force carbonating' so this makes me think you're planning to hit it with C02 at a higher pressure for a few days then disconnect and store it.

Nope. Force carbonation as in using co2 to carbonate. Not burst carbonation as in cranking up the psi and shaking the $hit out of it. It will be on for 3 weeks at serving pressure.

Thanks for all the responses everyone!

What would happen if I carb it in the fridge then warm it up. Would it lose any carbonation?

Only if you had a leak.

Thank you, Mam. ...and thanks to everyone else. I have three taps but room for 5. Been thinking about carbonating the pipeline. Never know how popular the homebrew may be at any random get together at my place.

..............Also, you can make a cheap guage from the auto parts store that will let you check the pressure in the keg. If it's consistant over a day or two, then you know you're good.

Hope this helps.

I'm interested in hearing more about this gauge to check the pressure in a keg. Is there a thread discussing this already? If not could you please explain this further?

Thanks!

I'm interested in hearing more about this gauge to check the pressure in a keg. Is there a thread discussing this already? If not could you please explain this further?

Thanks!
Sure thing, my buddy made one very easily and the last time I was at the parts store, they didn't have everything. I'll take pics when I buy the stuff and make a post for it.

-TK

Wouldn't the beer loose carbonation as the beer level drops in the keg, thus causing it to loose pressure? And how much?

I'm assuming you are correct as the carbonation in the beer would escape to the empty headspace. In this case, however, I am asking strictly for storage. I am not planning on serving until it's back on the gas. Besides, you would need gas to push the beer out anyway and the gas would fill that void.

What if you have a keg that is already cold and on CO2? I can only fit 2 kegs in my kegerator and I want to carb up a beer for a friends party in 3 weeks. I want to disconnect one keg ( that I have been serving off of) for 2 weeks while the other one carbs up. Will the temp change affect the CO2? Will it go bad?

Back