Size of apple bits..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragongreen

Reaction score
hello,

I am planning to use a garden shredder to grind the apples with before pressing..
Problem is, my shredder does not grind the apples very finely. I tend to have bits of apples maybe a inch long, and half an inch wide.

Is this too coarse to put through the press ? Will the yield be poor because of this ?

Thanks

hello,

I am planning to use a garden shredder to grind the apples with before pressing..
Problem is, my shredder does not grind the apples very finely. I tend to have bits of apples maybe a inch long, and half an inch wide.

Is this too coarse to put through the press ? Will the yield be poor because of this ?

Thanks

1> No it is not too coarse you can press whole apples if you want.

2> The determining factor on yield will be the pressure you can apply to the press (and the amount of juice in the apples of course).

But coarser apples may limit the yield per batch in the press (ie. how many apples you can squeeze at one time) but not the overall yield.

You could try running them through a second time to get smaller pieces if you think it is better to have smaller pieces. But you may loose some juice each time you run them through (even the first time).

Back