Rum and Cola?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vautourj

Reaction score
I would like to try making a run an cola on tap.

In theory could I just pour in some store bought cola and rum, close the keg and re-pressurize it?

Before I go get my own cola and root beer making supplies, I thought it would be cool to try this first.

Any thoughts?
:mug:

Wow... the way I mix 'em that would take a lot of rum!

I don't see any reason you couldn't pour a bunch of 2 liters into the keg, add a few handles of rum, then carbonate. Just be careful filling the keg so you don't get too much foaming.

I did exactly what you described. The only issue I had is that I had a hard time dialing in the CO2 just right, I always ended up with a ton of foam.

I used the following formula:

44.36 mL = 1.5 oz = 1 shot
5 gallons = 53x 12 oz servings

53x1.5oz = 79.5oz or ~10 cups or 2,351mL (~1 handle + 1 fifth)

you need long lines and high pressure, but it's very doable (gin + tonic on tap ftw!)

Run the keg at 35 psi and use 20 feet of 3/16ths between the keg and tap, otherwise you lose the CO2.

have you tried a bar type setup..... Where they have the soda syrup mixture and a 5th on the line and it doesn't get carbonated or mixed until it hits the fountain.... That way the alcohol from the liquour knocks down the foam.....

hmm. all good suggestions. I have a kegerator and a 3 gallong corney, so I will try that first. Yes. lots of beer line in needed, which I have and a dual regulator, so that should be fine as well.

My next step would be when I integrate to my bar, set up a post mix system for soda and get a carbonator.

thx.

Is there any worry about the soda and alcohol separating while in the keg? Probably not, but over time, different gravities...

Wish my college roommates and I thought of a gin & tonic tap back in the day...

Is there any worry about the soda and alcohol separating while in the keg? Probably not, but over time, different gravities...

Wish my college roommates and I thought of a gin & tonic tap back in the day...
That would be what I would be worried about too, but alcohol is a solvent so they might not separate.

Back