hop growth question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clemson55

Reaction score
2 of my plants are putting out hops now and I'm hoping they will get to full size before it gets to late in the yr and frost or something gets them. Is there anything I can do to help the hops reach maturity faster? Such as extra watering or fertilizing or things of that nature.

In short, no. The hops mature mainly as a function of day length. Ensuring they have all they need all along to produce healthy cones will help you reach a prompt maturity. I am assuming these are first year hops planted late? You may still reach maturity, as here in Central PA our average last frost date is 10/5 and you are later than that probably by at least a few weeks. Let them go as long as you can and if the weather starts dropping into the high 30's then harvest even if they aren't completely finished you may still be able to use them for bittering.

1st yr yes, planted late no, they were doing pretty good then I moved from sc to va and they went from full sun all day to a patio with sun for like 4-5 hrs a day. It really stunted them a little I think.

Full sun is the best thing you can do for your hops. Keep the soil moist & let them grow as long as possible.

It's been so cold this year, I'm looking at a meager harvest, even on the third year plants. Very few blackberries either.

Yeah thats what I figured but the full sun is kind of a problem. Even if I set them off my patio area they will only get a couple hrs more sun a day then I have to worry about the stupid lawncare people messing with them.

Back