Brewer's Best

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c9obr6a

Reaction score
Hello to all my name is dave and I have a beer problem. This is my first post to this site so I wanted to say hello. My first try at brewimg is a Brewer's Best kit Red Ale (hope this is a good kit). So far every thing is going good and will bottle this weekend. Is there any other beer kit's for starters that are better then Brewer's Best. I did a search but I'am now a little more confused? Thanks for the help

First of all welcome. Second of all relax, and enjoy a brew. Just read the heck out of these forums, and it will answer just about any question you might have. if it doesnt, just ask, someone will have the answer. just have fun and enjoy it. I dont know about any special "beginner brews" for say but just stay with a simple extract kit for the first few then maybe switch to some partial grain kits after a few. Hope this helps.

Several good beer kits. Coopers is good. Or you can obtain all extract kits from MoreBeer, NorthernBrewer or a LHBS. Welcome to the brew club. I'm pretty sure your results will be "Wow, why didn't I start this years ago?"
And each batch you make will get better.:)

Wow thanks for the quick replys. The first kit had cooper malt extract and I steeped some grains for 20 min also. So it sounds like I'am on the wright track. And I just got back from LHBS with Ironmaster Northern Brown Ale and Briess Golden Light Malt Extract for what he said would be a easy brew for a NewCastle knockoff. Great site and I'am getting good use out of the search button.

The simplest kits are the ones mentioned - canned kits like Coopers and others.

If you want to diversify without getting too complicated, go to a local homebrew store or any of the many online stores (see below) for kits. Basically, they send you all the ingredients, and you boil, add hops, etc. They usually include step-by-step directions. For example, for my second brew I wanted something that tasted like Fat Tire, so I ordered a kit from www.midwestsupplies.com. I fumbled a bit, and guessed at hop quantities (didn't have a scale), but it came out nicely.

There are a ton of online stores. Some you see mentioned in this forum are www.northernbrewer.com, www.austinhomebrew.com, www.morebeer.com.

When you want to get into more varieties, read Papazian's "Joy of Homebrewing" for a great explanation of all things brewing.

And, of course, have a blast!

Hey there Dave! Welcome to a very interesting hobby. You did not mention if you have any book .... are you reading one? There are real good books out there. "The Joy of Homebrew" was my first one and is still a very popular one. "Dave Miller's Homebrewing Guide" is another popular one. Everyone has a favorite.

By the way, give yourself some credit. If you seeped some grain already you are certainly not at the basement level concrete beginning level. You could have gone much easier:) Congrats:)

Like all the rest, Welcome to one of the most addictive hobbies you can have. I am going to suggest you check out HomeBrew Heaven. I have used them quite a bit and they have some awesome kits especially the Diamond Knot IPA. You will get some real good info from here, these guys are really know their stuff!!!!

Michael_Schaap said:
Hey there Dave! Welcome to a very interesting hobby. You did not mention if you have any book .... are you reading one? There are real good books out there. "The Joy of Homebrew" was my first one and is still a very popular one. "Dave Miller's Homebrewing Guide" is another popular one. Everyone has a favorite.

By the way, give yourself some credit. If you seeped some grain already you are certainly not at the basement level concrete beginning level. You could have gone much easier:) Congrats:)

I have one book that came with Quality wine and Ale's beer kit but can't think of the name, It does explane alot. All these sight's you guys are giving me are great. Is it bad when you can't wait for your first batch to be done so you can start another before you even taste it. LOL:drunk:

It sounds like you are doing well with your first batch. I guess I look at brewing beer as being cooking, something I had a lot of experience with before starting homebrewing. If you can follow a recipe you should be able to brew just about anything. Why not do a partial mash next time? All you need is a hops bag and you can add your grain and hops yourself.

I buy my "kits" from my local homebrewing supply store, but if you don't have one near you, there are a number of them online. There is a "sticky" on the top of one of the forums here that has a listing of online sites.

c9obr6a said:
Is it bad when you can't wait for your first batch to be done so you can start another before you even taste it. LOL:drunk:

No, that's normal. You are experiencing the first stages of homebrew addiction. Nevertheless, wait. It'll be worth it. In the meantime, brew another beer. It'll help.

Back