First Brew!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shafferpilot

Reaction score
Well I made it through my first brew day last week. Here's some pics of my stuff, I couldn't get any pics of the process, 'cause I had my hands full. Anyways, the beer is good as of this morning when I moved it to the secondary, but a little hoppier than I wanted, but it's a bastardized recipe brewed by a bastard so what can I expect... Anyways, just for fun, here's a list of stuff i screwed up:

1. MLT was up on a folding table so I didn't have to bend over.... stupid since that meant that wort tried to run down the steam line and into the pressure cooker. Fixed it by putting mlt back on ground and changing water in the pressure cooker.

2. Instant stuck sparge. The solution was easy enough: stir, then SLOW DOWN.

3. A watched pot never boils, but you can bet your butt that if you run to the kitchen to get a beer, it WILL boilover. Solution: keep a cooler of beer nearby for brewday.

4. Where the heck did all my ice go? Solution: chill wort with water only, then change water and add ice to drop it from 100 down to 70.

5. I'm such an idiot on this one. I was so excited to have the brew part over with, that I forgot to let the brew pot settle before racking to the primary. I bet this sucker's gonna be hazy as heck no matter what I do

Beer's a 1.053 OG and is at 1.010 this morning. it's got 2 row, some 6 row, and some homemade roasted. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 35IBU's (i should've aimed for high twenties I think. It's just not dark enough for that much). Anyways, my head is spinning with desire to do another one. I mean just look at those lonely beerless carboys, they deserve a chance to flourish...

brewpotub2.jpg

Brew Pot (actually the oil pot that came with the turkey fryer)

mltih4.jpg

worked great, thanks to all for the great ideas on how to make these things work

firstbrewwk4.jpg

She's ugly, but it's still beer

roomformoreks6.jpg

Hmmmm. what do I want to brew NEXT

Cool, I'm hoping the hops do tame down a bit. Plus I'm just not used to tasting flat, room temp. beer, so I'm not sure how much that is affecting my observations. It's in the secondary and bubbling steady at about one ploop per 1:40 :ban:

Now I just gotta get on building my lager box. Just picked up an air conditioner on ebay for a whopping $5.00:rockin: Anyone have specific recomendations for a lager cabinet? I've got some more research to do here at HBT. I'm planning on enough room to fit two carboys, should I go bigger? Anyways I'm getting way off topic here.... thanks for the encouragement

Back