Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewno

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to dry hop and have a muslin bag a couple of marbles and my hops. The only thing I am stuck on...which seems silly actually....is the cord or what to use to suspend it. What is most common? A white shoelace, a piece of string....any string? Any special string? Fishing line? Dental floss....thread? Am I too anal?:D

Brewno said:
Am I too anal?:D

Yes. (where are the damn smilies?)

But I use fishing line. Fewer nooks and crannies for nasties to hide. Just in case the alcohol in the beer alone isn't enough.

JavaBeans said:
But I use fishing line. Fewer nooks and crannies for nasties to hide. Just in case the alcohol in the beer alone isn't enough.

That's kind of what I was thinking. So you're anal too?:D :D

fishing line is what I see listed most often too, followed by a beer safe metal (like thin copper wire or SS wire)

even a long plastic zip-tie would work.

Usually, I just throw my hops in for dryhopping. Sometimes when I use lots and lots of hops, I use a hops bag. I've never suspended it though- I just filled it loosely (so the hops can contact the beer) and dropped it in.

Just a word of advice, if you are using plugs make sure they fit in the neck of the carboy!
I had mine all ready to go in the hop bag and everything, and they didnt fit in.
Add to that they were frozen.
So I took the bag the hops came in, placed them in it and hammered them down until they fit.
It was quite the experience.
In retrospect, I probably could have put the robber stopper and airlock on while I let the hops warm up some, but that didnt come to mind right away...
n00b mistake!

I added my hops this morning. I sanitized a muslin bag, some fishing line and a couple of marbles and in she went. I guess two marbles wasn't enough because it's floating. I noticed that my airlock is bubbling about once every 30 seconds or so. I suppose the hops cause a little gas?

The hops will cause CO2 to come out of suspension. You might want to wait until it slows a bit and give the carboy a gentle swirl to make sure all hops are wet and in the beer.

Back