eggshells

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the little research I've done it seems that they lower bitterness and smooth out the coffee.

Eggshells are used in wine making, i think, to help with clarity. I believe they just act as a fining agent. Not sure about the coffee grounds though.

Calcium. The same reason you add egg shells to potting/gardening soil. But the ph is the target as mentioned. Check out Yoopers question on simple PH for brewers in the brewing science section. It'll blow your mind. Lol

Calcium might be true. But I wonder how much you have to use for enough calcium to leach out. I know with gardening, the effects are more long-term. Eggshells take awhile to decompose and offer up that calcium.

Probably acts like rice hulls in a way too when it's time to sparge.

+1 on the egg shells for wine as a clearing agent. I have done this, but they must be baked first. As for beer I never heard of that, unless it's to take the "sting" out of the coffee.

Back