Recipe feedback please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malichaidog

Reaction score
I am considering buying all this and making this beer, but since it is my first recipe of my own and about 100 bucks worth of ingredients I thought I'd ask for some feedback first before brewing.

What do think of this shopping list for a black imperial IPA. This is a ten gallon batch and assumes 70-75% efficiency.
25 lbs domestic 2 row
4lbs crystal 40L
2lbs white wheat malt
1lb chocolate malt

all hops are pellet
4oz amarillo30 min
4oz chinook 60 min
4oz fulkoner's flight15 min
and dry hop with 8oz cascade

california ale yeast with 2liter starter. I might tweak the hop schedule as far as when I make additions, but was wondering more about my malt profile. This will be my first non-kit go big or go home batch

malt looks good it will be chocolatey. if it were me i scale it back a bit. ive never heard of 8 oz in dry hopping (sounds good) but i read a post once that mentioned too many dry hops will make it taste vegital. but i dont truly know. also 4oz at 60 may make your beer bitter since most of the flavor will boil away. i would scale it back to 1-1.5 oz and throw as much as poss near end of boil. im subscribed so let me know how it turns out. love the hop types. and good luck.

Okay, thanks for the input, I'll dial back the chocolate. I don't want chocolate flavors just the color.

Seems like a lot of crystal to me. I'd back that and the chocolate down and go with Carafa II or III. I agree you need more additions at 15 to 0 min - maybe move the amarillo. Have you plugged it into software? Just wondering what the IBU's are on that. Never tried to dry hop with that much so can't really comment there.

Malichaidog said:
Okay, thanks for the input, I'll dial back the chocolate. I don't want chocolate flavors just the color.

Go with 4 Oz or less then.

chickypad said:
Seems like a lot of crystal to me. I'd back that and the chocolate down and go with Carafa II or III. I agree you need more additions at 15 to 0 min - maybe move the amarillo. Have you plugged it into software? Just wondering what the IBU's are on that. Never tried to dry hop with that much so can't really comment there.

Beer smith says 145 ibu and about 9%. I'll take your advice on the malts and and dial back and sub out as suggested. Thanks

For my black ipa's I add carafa III the last 10-15 minutes of the mash. I get all the color with no roasted/coffee/chocolate/or tannin flavors. I also grind then separately so they're not part of my malt bill when I drop everything in the tun.

Sounds like a good brew! Post back later to let us know how those large amounts of dry hopping worked out.

First all grain & 10 batch & a imperial ipa?
Go big or go home? Ballsy imo..

u prob won't hit your sg, make sure you have dme on hand...

Why not make it your second batch and work your up to it....make a simple pale ale and work the bugs outta your system? But that's just me..

Whats your mash temp?

Igotsand

igotsand said:
First all grain & 10 batch & a imperial ipa?
Go big or go home? Ballsy imo..

u prob won't hit your sg, make sure you have dme on hand...

Why not make it your second batch and work your up to it....make a simple pale ale and work the bugs outta your system? But that's just me..

Whats your mash temp?

Igotsand

I have brewed a bunch of all grain kits on my system. This is my first non-kit all grain on my setup. My first ag ever was a ten gallon imperial ipa that came out good. Just pored a batch from a pilsner that came out solid.

i think you will get a pretty solid ipa from this. again go with ALOT less hops at fwh/60. still sounds nice though. does it have a name yet?

Okay here is my tweaked version. Decided to stay high on the chocolate because it is only 3% of the total grain bill and it is just easier for ordering purposes to go with a pound no lhbs for me I have to get everything shipped to me.

image-3685270178.jpg

Back