A simple recipe that's good to drink "green"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tCan

Reaction score
I've found that regular old Welche's grape juice, with an IG of ~1.096, pitched with fleischmanns bread yeast and allowed to run dry is actually pretty good straight out of the fermenter. The yeast cake is fairly cohesive, so simply decanting twice is adequate to remove almost all sediment. Further, for whatever reason, fermentation occurs very rapidly. Depending on how much yeast is initially pitched, fermentation can take as little as 3 days.

It was a semi-hit among the attendees of a college get together. Heck, it impressed me and I made it!

My mom called me back in November to brag that she had made her own wine. Funny enough this was her recipe as well.

Unfortunately she left it in the fridge after adding the yeast with the cap on it. It didn't ferment and I couldn't bring myself to tell her that its probably too cold for the yeast to propagate in there. About 2 months later she called me again and said that the jug exploded in her fridge and caused the biggest grape juice mess shed ever seen.

I guess the yeast were active but super slow about it.

I sent my mom a few packs of wine yeast and told her to leave it out under the sink next time. She promptly stopped me in my tracks and informed me that the juice will go bad in just a couple of days.

Yes mom. That's the point. :)

Ah, Welches and Fleischmanns "wine" -- I made that once or twice when I was in high school. Hideous stuff.

Ah, Welches and Fleischmanns "wine" -- I made that once or twice when I was in high school. Hideous stuff.

Suit yourself. I think it's pretty decent. Especially for how little attention it requires. I do use Campden tablets. Helps a lot. Without them, it's pretty horrid stuff.

Note however that I never did actually call it wine ;)

Back