Overly aggressive fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjcalico

Reaction score
First question for the forum. I'm on my 5th batch - 2nd hefe - and used WLP300 yeast. I noticed activity within 8 hours of pitching, so I moved the bucket to my basement (constant 62-64 degrees). By that evening, 10 hours later, it was going crazy! I had to switch out my airlock and clean every 30 min until 11 pm ... it looked like a airstone in an aquarium - yes, the bubbles were coming that fast! This morning the airlock is bubbling about once every 6 seconds. My first batch of hefeweizen got a bit "active", but nothing like this. Is this normal? Is it possible for the yeast to play out too quickly? Oh, and a bit off topic, do you guys secondary ferment hefes? Thanks!

It is possible that you pitched a #hitload of yeast which would cause a very active fermentation. The only downside is the fermentation temperature can skyrocket due to all the activity and cause byproducts that are less desirable. At 62-64, you are hedging your bets though.

Sometimes I secondary unless there is an empty keg waiting to be filled.

I've had a few hefe's ferment like mad. Couple times I had to switch over to a blow off tube because the stopper was working it's way out with the airlock in it. I've also had some that just ferment at a good pace but don't threaten to turn in to a volcano on me. I've really found the hefe yeasts to be very sensitive to slight temperature differences even more than other ale yeasts. I actually tend to ferment mine on the warm side because I really like to emphasize those banana and clove flavors.

I used one tube of live WLP300, so I don't think I used too much ... A friend just gave me a 6.5 gallon carboy, so I'm using that next time with a blow-off tube! Didn't have this problem on my other batches (used Cooper's dry and Safale).

Temp change can be dodgy apparently. But still, you didn't have much choice if it's started exploding, hahah. You know for next time now :)

Back