Northern Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace_Club

Reaction score
I have used Northern Brewer multiple times in the past and have never had an issue with any of the products I have received. The hardware is always as advertised and the prices are competitive. I would not hesitate to recommend them to other brewers or to use them again in the future.

I'd also like to give them a thumbs up. I used them for the first time last week. I found their 8oz hops to be very competitively priced, especially compared to local. Also bought some equipment. Everything arrived as expected and on time.

Have been ordering from Northern Brewer for years...I usually leave remarks about Brewing TV since they are basically the "owners" of the show. I'm gonna have to try that AHA membership bit.

i agree. two thumps up for northern brewer. prices are great and their customer service is better!

My first ever order from them arrived a few weeks ago. I ordered an aeration system from them (in addition to a few other gadgets and a host of ingredients) and they neglected to put the stone in with the rest of the system. However, when I called after receiving the order they promptly made it right and immediately sent one to me. While having it initially would have been ideal (had to resort to shaking on one more brew), can't fault them for fixing an error with absolutely no hassle. The fact that my yeast were DOA was my fault for not thinking twice before ordering liquid yeast during a record-shattering nationwide heat wave ;)

I ordered their Smashing Pumpkin Ale a few weeks ago and the forgot to include the spice mix. So i called and they quickly shipped it out that day and i had it the next day! And to my pleasant surprise there was a free pint glass as an apology. Great customer service.

Thumbs up! My first order from Northern Brewer. One item was a fermometer. It was not in the box - just an empty zip lock bag. I called and told them. As far as they knew, I could have lost it myself, but there was no questioning about whether I might have lost it. They just sent one right out.

I ordered a schwarzbier all grain kit a few days back and have been eagerly watching the tracking number. I just got an email from NB saying there was a potential issue. One of the packers found the "guts" to a schwarz all grain on the counter. There were a "few" orders that included this kit. To fix it, they sent out the guts (hops and instructions) to each of the potential candidates, before the orders even arrived at their houses and before anyone knows who got shorted. I don't care if they messed up one small part of one order. What they are doing to right the issue is by far some of the best customer service I have ever seen. They have a long term customer in me.

(I am not trying to knock any other vendors on this forum, I'm sure you are great as well :mug:)

I have never had a problem when ordering from them, top notch service. Good to hear they are making it right even before customers know it is wrong.

I placed my first order with them a few weeks ago for some simcoe and I was extremely happy with every aspect.

I ordered a carbonation stone that was mislabeled the wrong micron size on the warehouse side.

They sent me a new one and told me to keep the one they sent.

Now that is first class customer service, I now order all my supplied from them.

On one of my orders I forgot bottle caps (which were essential), I emailed them and even though my order had already been processed they added the caps before my order was shipped out. I was very impressed and have been a loyal customer since!

Word. I loves me some NB.

A few orders ago, a cleaning agent was left out. Wasnt a big deal as I had ordered before I was out anyways, and I explained this to the gentleman I spoke with on the phone. 3 days later my cleaning agent was on my doorstep along with a free pint glass.

We can all talk all day about how great a company is, how orders are never messed up and so on. However, I think the real test of a company is how they make it right when an order IS messed up (hey, sh!% happens right?) and I give 2 thumbs up to NB.

From their competitive prices, their customer service, to how quick they are to ship, I cannot recommend Northern Brewer enough!

All -

Because I am not one person to only complain, I wanted to share.

I order 99% of my stuff from Northern Brewer. I love Brewing TV, love their kits and their gear has been top notch.

Recently ordered a mix of stuff and one of them was a sweatshirt. Invoice and packing list matched what I ordered. Sweatshirt wasn't right - too small, wasn't what I ordered.

Contacted NB and they immediately shipped me the right one (size) and sent an RMA label for the small one.

Absolutely outstanding service. I'll continue to order from them and recommend them to others.

Thanks

Great company and I love ordering from them.... but I've been short changed by them a few times. A few bags of one lb specialty grains came up short. Just last weekend I ordered a pound of chocolate rye from them. My 1 lb bag had exactly 11.69 oz in it... and no it wasnt my scale its still calibrated fine and all the other bags I got from them had 16 oz plus/minus .1 oz. Not a huge financial short change but annoying when my recipe calls for more than that.. the reason I order it from them is because none of my LHBS carry it.. so then Im screwed on brew day

So after using the same plastic fermentation bucket for the last 4-5 years, we finally decided to get a new one from Northern Brewer while getting some supplies.

After one use this is what we got (see below attached)

I called NB today to let them know what happened and without hesitation the guy goes "we'll send you out a new one today."

I am thoroughly impressed w/ the customer service I received and had to tell someone about it, so there. Cheers :mug:

photo 1.jpg

Northern brewer has always been my go-to for ingredients and equipment. Fast and efficient. And they have everything I need. My favorite part is that they have replied to every email Facebook post and tweet.

I had a better bottle carboy that seemed to seperate at the base. Sent a picture, NB spent about a week trying to find my order from about a year ago (it was under the girlfriends name) and sent me a new one.

4-5 years with the same plastic fermentor, thats impressive and risky

Haha, I figured someone would comment on that. We are meticulous w/ what objects/materials touch the inside of the bucket and are equally meticulous w/ sanitation. Hundreds of gallons later and have still never had any kind of infection. :ban:

some TLC goes a long way. Sorry you had to see it pass, you should plant something in it.

Yeah, it's funny b/c we wanted a new one just to get a new one but for some reason throwing it out is impossible. It's official, we're homebrew equipment hoarders.

So I placed a large order with Northern Brewer a few days ago. 3 of their discounted 6.5 gallon carboys in their. When everything arrived, one of the carboys was perfect and the other 2 sounded like the post office had played rugby with them during delivery. Opening the boxes confirmed it.... a thousand pieces.
I contacted northern brewer via email asking what I needed to do and they responded ASAP with a new shipping invoice and 2 replacement carboys on the way. These guys are awesome!!!!!!!

I completely agree. I ordered ingredients for a batch, when my order arrived I was short 1 oz of hops. I e-mailed them, they responded quickly and had the hops in the mail the next day. When my order came in they had shipped a 20 Oz "mine" glass with on 1 oz of hops.

The glass was completely unnecessary, but I appreciated it.

Maybe I missed this on here, but NB has raised their prices and got rid of flat-rate shipping. From their site: "So we’ve decided to simplify things. By separating out the shipping charges we’ve been able to lower our prices on hundreds of prices in our catalog." I have yet to see any ingredients or kits with lower prices, most are more expensive even than they were two weeks ago.

Disappointing, BTV got me started and I have been loyal, but the prices are now considerably worse than other online vendors.

Brewmasters Warehouse looks like they may now get my business.

Maybe I missed this on here, but NB has raised their prices and got rid of flat-rate shipping. From their site: "So we’ve decided to simplify things. By separating out the shipping charges we’ve been able to lower our prices on hundreds of prices in our catalog." I have yet to see any ingredients or kits with lower prices, most are more expensive even than they were two weeks ago.

Disappointing, BTV got me started and I have been loyal, but the prices are now considerably worse than other online vendors.

Brewmasters Warehouse looks like they may now get my business.

I was very disappointed with Brewmaster's warehouse. I never ordered from them online, but going into their store is largely pointless since they keep nothing in stock. I wonder how they can fill online orders quickly if they can't keep simple things like temperature controllers, buckets, and regulators in stock.

wow....their non-flat rate items before were outrageous for me....and Im nearby in Ohio!

sounds like Rebel Brewer, AHS and Morebeer will be getting more of my business.

I used to order 99% of everything from NB

That really blows if true ( I haven't checked it out yet). I just had a birthday and have $400 in NB gift cards. Thier prices were already too high in my opinion. I never thought that a LHBS could beat the prices of a mail order giant with buying power like NB. I'm happy to say though that, except for the selection which is somewhat limited. My LHBS blows the big mail orders
Out of the water.

rebel brewers grain prices were always way lower than northern brewer, I know northern brewer lost alot of my business for grain prices alone, maybe now the prices will be closer

yep I just checked and 8 lbs of Breiss pale ale malt crushed was 16.32 2 weeks ago, now it's 12.00, that's a pretty big drop

Lots of the hop prices went up too. Some of the kits are lower, they no longer charge more for crushing the grain, safale yeasts are a little cheaper, but dangit that flat rate was nice. My LHBS is still more expensive and has low turn around on product. Gosh darnit NB. I'm glad I bought the Blichmann burner while it was still flat rate. I will be shopping around more now however.

I have exclusively used NB since gas went up and it became a bit cheaper than driving to the closest homebrew shop. Now, it looks like I'll be making the trip to Beer Crazy more often. I like the place, so I suppose this is for the best anyway. Anybody check the shipping rates for yeast? $9.86 for a packet of already overpriced Nottingham to Iowa. That is ground shipping. Ridiculous.

Back