souring with kombucha?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ftlstrings

Reaction score
Has anybody attempted / tasted beer that had been fermented with Sacc that was then 'infected' with a kombucha scoby? Seems like it could produce something either interesting and tasty or something horrible.

~M~

There's a beer called lambrucha (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22399/56855) thats part lambic part kombrucha. I think its very good.. tart, refreshing, almost lemonade like with slight funk/earthiness and balanaced acidity.

I believe its a blend of lambic and kombucha, not one beverage fermented with different cultures.

I fermented a weak wort with kombucha only, it came out acetic and barnyardy, but that may have just been my scoby. Seems like a better option for blending to me.

FWIW, a friend of mine did something similar to this in a mead. I don't know if he let it ferment w/ sacc first, or if he just let the kombucha do all the work. As I recall, the mead turned out OK, but without much sour/kombucha character. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't that great IMO. It just kinda tasted like mead to me. It was over a year ago when I tried it, though, so I don't really remember.

Rather than fermenting with use of a scoby, I would consider fermenting a small batch separately as kombucha, pasteurizing it, then blending. That way, you'll avoid a wort that gets more acetic over time.

I have done a few experiments with my kombucha scoby and boiled down last runnings. At least for me they never really turned out that well.
I definitely got a big barnyard smell but not much sourness. I guess I got a bit of acetic acid. Maybe the solution is to add abit of grains with your kombucha culture to get some lactic sourness.
I just came to the conclusion that commercial dregs are a better option.

Back