Could this be spoiled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-boy

Reaction score
Lastnight I went down and checked the carboys out and I noticed one of the stoppers in the carboy was loose. I could wiggly it around easy, I said S**T.
The hops I dry hopy with that are floating on top look a little funky and brownish now. Should I dump it or bottle it and see what happens?:confused:

Are you high? A loose bung, and you're ready to dump a batch? I mean, I can't say fer certain that it's not infected, but I've seen alot worse...and still had perfectly good batches.

As for the hops, worry not. Whenever I dryhop, they end up looking nasty after awhile. In all likelihood, it's just fine.

Either way, unless you see little thingies actually crawling around on top of your beer, I wouldn't do anything. You won't really know until you rack/bottle/keg, or you take a sample with a theif/autosiphon. Relax. Don't Worry. Have hit of crack, er, I mean, a homebrew.

Brew-boy said:
Lastnight I went down and checked the carboys out and I noticed one of the stoppers in the carboy was loose. I could wiggly it around easy, I said S**T.
The hops I dry hopy with that are floating on top look a little funky and brownish now. Should I dump it or bottle it and see what happens?:confused:
you do realize some breweries, Samuel Smith, still use open fermentation pools.

I suspect the typical brewery is a bit cleaner than the typical basement.

But, hops do change color. Let it continue to clear, it is unlikely that it got infected.

I've heard of an Alaskan winemaker that would have to fish mice out of his fermentation tank every so often, and the "Cock Ale" recipe in 'The Complete Joy of Homebrewing' always makes me chuckle. Don't feel bad about your paranoia though, it's healthy in small doses, just don't get to the point where you're about to throw out a whole batch of beer because it's been in the bottling bucket exposed to air for 15 minutes before you got the bottles ready. (like me:) )

Not only is an open fermentation relatively safe according to many sources, but hops add an anti-bacterial property as well. I'd bet a paycheck there is nothing wrong with your batch (at least as a result of the loose bung (don't hear that everyday)).

Back